Grandmothers engagement ring

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
ecolyx

Grandmothers engagement ring

Post by ecolyx »

Which country, maker and year is this engagement ring, please? I can't find any details of the hallmark on any site I've looked.

It is a sapphire with 8 diamonds.

ecolyx

Re: Grandmothers engagement ring

Post by ecolyx »

The A&C mark appears to be from silversmiths Asprey and Co, but I can't work out when they used this logo, rather than "A&Co".

I don't even know how to describe the first marking, other than a mushroom cloud, but none of the hallmark searches come up with anything for that. I don't know if the first marking is meant to be an assay stamp, or a year.

I don't understand why this is so hard to find any information on. Does anyone know who or where I could go to get more information, even if it is a paid service. The more I fail to find anything out, the more intriguing it becomes.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

If this were Asprey it would have an English hallmark - it doesn't so it must be another A&C from somewhere else. It is probable that the "mushroom" is the trademark of the manufacturer and not a national mark. If so, it is perhaps not surprising that nobody has yet come up with an answer.

It might perhaps concentrate our minds if you were to tell us where your grandmother lived.

Phil
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

Hi

Have you considered the well known and well established Australian jewelry firm of Angus & Coote (A&C)? Formed in 1895, still going to this day, well known especially for their wedding and engagement rings.

The above statement is not with any guarantee, but it was my first reaction on seeing your hallmarks. Intended as a pathway to further research only.

Cheers

Waylander
ecolyx

Post by ecolyx »

silvermakersmarks wrote:It might perhaps concentrate our minds if you were to tell us where your grandmother lived.
She lived in the UK, and emigrated to Australia early 60s, but was married in the 30s or 40s. There was some speculation the ring was given to her from a previous generation, but the metric gold percentages suggest it is not old British, and lack of a crown suggests it's not modern British.

Yes, other manufacturers are possible, but I have seen the logo drawn like this attributed to Asprey.

Am I allowed to link the site where it is listed on this forum?
ecolyx

Post by ecolyx »

Waylander wrote:Hi

Have you considered the well known and well established Australian jewelry firm of Angus & Coote (A&C)? Formed in 1895, still going to this day, well known especially for their wedding and engagement rings.

The above statement is not with any guarantee, but it was my first reaction on seeing your hallmarks. Intended as a pathway to further research only.

Cheers

Waylander
Yes, I have shown it to an Australian jeweller, who seemed sure it wasn't Angus & Coote, and didn't think it was Australian. It was an early consideration as she lived here half her life, but long after she married. I understand Angus and Coote mostly used a simple "AC" stamp, no ampersand.
ecolyx

Post by ecolyx »

This is the only similar stamp I can find anywhere online, but it is remarkably similar..

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
There are two fineness marks; 585 is for 14 K yellow gold (the ring itself) and 375 (9K) is likely for diamond setting (375 gold + 625 silver), because diamonds are always set in white gold or platinum, otherwise yellow gold prong setting would spoil desirable white color of diamonds.
If I remember well, 9 K is bellow legal standard in America (10 K minimum), so at least America can be excluded.
On the other hand, British assay marks are missing.
Lastly, 585 and 375 have different frames but I cannot recall which country had this system of gold marking.
Regards

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”