Gold cigarette case

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
VicM52

Gold cigarette case

Post by VicM52 »

I have a gold cigarette case from around 1900. I know this is a silver forum so can anyone recommend where I can get some insights into this piece? I have other photos, but I will only post if it's OK to discuss this item in this forum.

Thanks
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Gold cigarette case

Post by dognose »

Hi VicM52,

We're delighted to discuss your cigarette case, so, yes, more images would be appreciated.

Trev.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

While waiting for more sharp pictures especially from the marks, let's assume what we have.
Yes, a golden case in 583,33/1000 fineness. A left looking kokoshnik giving us the time span 1899-1908. The initials AP(?). There are only one assayer fitting the time span. This would be Aleksandr Romanov, active in Warsaw 1899-1904 and St. Petersburg 1904-1912. The maker's mark seems to be in Latin letters J.H (?). Found one J.H. in St. Petersburg He is a Finn, Johan Heinoin. He was active from 1870 to around 1895. Now we have a problem. The time span doesn't match, but it is not known for sure did he work longer that to 1895, quite possible that he did, but? In Warsaw found nothing suitable.

Another problem is the oval mark to the left, what does it show? I have no idea. Please clean it and try to see what it shows.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
I think it was made in Warsaw, based on; AP in Kokoshnik, additional symbol beside initials often used by Warsaw silversmiths and coat of arms application of Polish nobility.
Better close up images of the marks are needed.
Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Rose gold (the color comes from copper) was very popular in Imperial Russia. It is very durable due to the strength of copper in the alloy.
It was often gold plated with pure gold giving more appealing yellow gold color or partially gilded for two contrasting colors.
This cigarette case was also gold plated, but due to natural wear yellow gold remained only around relief application, being protected from wear.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

What image does the additional symbol depict? ::: Is it a famous building in Poland? ::::
VicM52

Post by VicM52 »

Hello everyone, and thanks for looking at this piece for me as well. I have some more photos, but none that are really clear of the hallmarks. I am getting the piece, cleaning it and I will post photos once I have better quality pictures. In the meantime, I am including what photos I already have. Some background on the piece - it was given as a gift to my great-grandfather upon being reassigned from his regiment in 1903. There is an inscription on the inside of the case but it's very hard to get a good photo where you can read all the text...hopefully the attached one is OK. The translation reads:

(To) Konstantin Ivanovich
Globachev
(From) Association of Officers
Life-Guards Keksholm
Austrian Emperor's regiment
1890 - 1903

You can see in the photo where the case is open that there are two sets of hallmarks, one on each side. Both are very worn from use, but I will try to post them all once I clean them up.

Thanks for the information already provided and I look forward to learning more.

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Michał Mankielewicz was a famous jeweler in Warsaw.
Born September 8, 1855 in Dąbrowa, died May 16, 1911 in Warsaw.
He probably retailed this cigarette case.
Regards
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

What does the additional hallmark depict? ::: I have never heard of that hallmark before so I wish to know the image in the hallmark. ::: Thanks.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

This is interesting. OK for Warsaw but who is this JH. Moreover, please clean the left and right mark e.g. with a toothpick or brush. If the case is from Warsaw, the left mark would be a trade mark. It could help in identifying the maker. I have pretty good list of Warsaw's master, but this JH is unknown to me. An other interesting point is the engraved text. What is the connection with the Austrian regiment? Keksholm is a town in Karelia by the lake of Ladoga. It is rather far from Warsaw but close to St. Petersburg.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korela_Fortress
VicM52

Post by VicM52 »

Hi Qrt.S - I will do what I can to clean the hallmarks and get good photos. With regards to the reference to the Austrian government - I can shed some light.

The inscription that says, "Austrian Emperor's regiment" does not mean that the regiment was commanded by an Austrian Emperor. Back in those days there was a lot of ceremonial diplomacy that went on. The Austrian Emperor at the time was Franz Joseph. To "make nice" with foreign leaders, he was appointed the honorary head of the Keksholm Regiment, just as the Russian Tsar Nicholas II was an honorary German Admiral, and the German Kaiser was a Russian admiral. Naturally Russian regiments had Russian commanders.

Hope that makes sense, and I'll get better photos shortly.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Only the first letter J is for certain.
Could be JK,JH or JR.
Are there any matches in the list ?
Regards
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

@VicM52
Unfortunately not much sense. At that time Kexholm was a small town more a village around the old fortress in the middle of "nowhere" Somehow I imagine the "regiment " being a platoon of 4-5 men, sounds ridiculous.
@AG 2012
Checked the combinations you suggested, but no luck. The closest is Jankiel Kelmer, but he is too early 1873-76
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Everything is clear in regard of the regiment:
The final composition of the Russian Imperial Guard:
3rd Guards Infantry Division. Headquarters, Warsaw.
1st Brigade: Life-Guards Lithuanian Regiment, Emperor of Austria's Life-Guards Kexgolmsky Regiment

On December 6, 1894, the regiment was granted the rights of the Old Guard for military merits, and the title of "Life Guard" was added to its name. The regiment was commanded to be called the Life Guards Kexholm Emperor of the Austrian Regiment, with the rights and advantages of the Old Guard.
Franz Joseph was formal head of the regiment; there was a commemorative medal issued by Austrian court with the image of Austrian emperor and his dedication to the regiment in Russian and signed by him as ``шеф`` (commander).
See here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Imperial_Guard

And here:
https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9A%D0 ... 0%BB%D0%BA

Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Officer's badge of the Life Guards Kexholm Regiment. Approved on December 28, 1897.
VicM52

Post by VicM52 »

Hi AG2012 - Great information, and it answers the question of the crest on the case....it's the officer's badge for the regiment.
VicM52

Post by VicM52 »

I tried getting some better photos of the hallmarks....some are better than others. As always, all comments and insights are really appreciated.

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

I suggested JR but Qrt.S could not find any matches in his list of Polish makers.
Trade mark is of little help if initials cannot be identified.
I would not limit the search to Warsaw (although it`s most probable); meaning the subcontractor could be from elsewhere in Poland.
Regards
VicM52

Post by VicM52 »

Thanks AG2012. I will see if I can clean it up more or get a better photo, but even in person it's very difficult to tell if it says "JR" or "JB" or "JP"
VicM52

Post by VicM52 »

Hi everyone - I was doing some searching on my own and found this company REISS, JENÖ that was around during the turn of the century. Their makers mark can be seen in the link below.

They are from Austria, but I guess, during this timeframe, having something sold by a jeweler in Warsaw that came from Austria isn't out of the question.

Does this make sense? I look forward to hearing from the experts.

https://www.langantiques.com/university/reissjeno/

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”