French medal - gold plate help please

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dag

French medal - gold plate help please

Post by dag »

]Hello
I would like some help on this medal please. I purchased it online and haven't received it yet, however it was advertised as 18k gold and bought as such. By searching online I have come to the conclusion that it probably is gold plated although the seller assured me that it is gold as she took it to a reputable jeweller. From the photos there is a punch mark (2 she says) but I cannot see with what nor could her jeweller apparently. In the past I have acquired French silver medals that had some sort of hallmark but were silver plated.
Can anyone show me gold plating hallmarks on jewellery? I have looked online but not found anything. Also any info on this medal would be appreciated. I have seen the same figure in the past but cannot find any similar again to compare. Thank you

https://i.imgsafe.org/5400cc2.png
https://i.imgsafe.org/5b30cac.jpg
dognose
Site Admin

Re: French medal - gold plate help please

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm not quite sure of the point of your post, as you have not posted any marks for identification. Perhaps when the piece is in your possession you can post a close-up of the marks.

Please remember in future posts to embed your images as very few people will click on such links.

Trev.
dag

Post by dag »

Hi
Thanks for your reply. I will look to directly paste the photo in. At the moment I would like any link or info on gold plating marks on jewellery if there is any, so when I receive the item I can make a deduction. Thank you :)
dag

Post by dag »

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
You have posted the same out of focus images.As suggested by the administrator sharp close up images of the marks are needed.France has well established system of marking both silver and gold and there should be no problem to tell exactly whether it`s gold or not.My benevolent advice would be not to buy gold online;sellers are often ignorant or fraudulent.
Best wishes
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Can anyone show me gold plating hallmarks on jewellery?
Completely inconsequential marking of gold plated jewelry. The point is to recognize gold marks.
Lack of gold marks means the item is very suspicious and has to be acid tested. But that`s another issue.
Search for any marks and show us, please.

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”