Silver? Spoons w/Dog's Head & 750 marks ~Anyone???

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
veebeez

Silver? Spoons w/Dog's Head & 750 marks ~Anyone???

Post by veebeez »

Hi! I have bought six spoons which appear gold, but I was told they are silver with gold wash, not sure. The marks are a dog or wolf's head in a triangle and 750 and other marks that are hard to make out. Any help greatly appreciated.
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

You are in the wrong forum my friend. They look like Continental (Europe) marks, but I don't recognise them. They certainly are not English. Try reposting in a more appropriate forum.

Waylander
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

I hasten to add, and this is something that I am a little embaressed about forgetting, that the markings seem to be similar to those of the Australian Gold and Silversmithing Guild. This is their website.

http://www.apecs.com.au/guild/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 750 mark would indicate that it's 18K gold.

Waylander
veebeez

Post by veebeez »

Thank you! I'm truly clueless about this stuff~ I Hope they're 18k!
bortolot

Gold hallmark forum

Post by bortolot »

Is there any possibility that a gold hallmark forum could be created on this website? There doesn't appear to be a forum that addresses this topic elsewhere on the web, and certaily there appears to be some interest out there.

Zack
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Veebeez,

Scanning through Tardy's "Poincons d'Or", I came across, what I think is, your "animal head in triangle" mark. If it is clearly a horse's head, Tardy shows it as a Polish gold mark used after 1931. Can you post a larger photo?

Hi Bortolot,

Good idea, I'll create a gold marks forum and move this one to it as its first topic.

Regards, Tom
gemsdiver

Gold marks on spoons

Post by gemsdiver »

Please bear in mind that some silver was hallmarked 750 in Europe up until the 19th century.
bortolot

Thanks!

Post by bortolot »

Tom,

Thanks for making the gold hallmark forums!

Zack
antiquer

Post by antiquer »

Please bear in mind that some silver was hallmarked 750 in Europe up until the 19th century.
Hi Andy,

Interesting point. I'm aware that .750 was used in some countries as an acceptable silver standard, such as 12 loth silver in Germany and Poland. I know they used a 12 mark to indicate the purity.
But, I can't think of any examples that actually used a numerical 750 as the actual mark. Always thought the thousandths decimal system was a fairly late development. Can you clarify with an example of where and when silver was marked with 750 in Europe or let us know what your info source is?

Cheers,
AinA
----------------------------------

Veebeez,
Any chance of a larger image of the marks? It would really help.

---------------------------------
gemsdiver

Post by gemsdiver »

Hi AinA

I bought a silver statuette some years ago in Germany and it was hallmarked with the 750 mark as opposed to the 12 Loth mark more commonly used.It was definately silver as well. Saying that, I do hope that the spoons are 18k gold,it would make the buy just that much nicer,don´t you think?
Belior

Post by Belior »

Hi AinA,

the statements are correct.
The 12 Loth corresponds 750/1000 silver.
The designation 750 was used from ca. 1880 to 1886.
Then the designation 800 was used.

Helmar
antiquer

Post by antiquer »

Helmar,
Thank you, that is a piece of information that I am glad to have.
Considering the date of its use, am I correct in thinking it could be seen with German Town marks, as well as the later national Crown & Crescent mark?

AinA
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

Andy

Thanks for the information regarding 750 hallmarking for silver. As an English Silver collector, it's news to me. You are never to old to be proved wrong ;)

Cheers

Waylander

Return to “Gold Marks - Worldwide”