Is this RWM vase weighted

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AllSeasons

Is this RWM vase weighted

Post by AllSeasons »

I just purchased this RWM (Richard M. Woods) vase online, assuming it's solid silver (and paid as such). It is only marked "RWM STERLING 502" on the bottom; there's nothing that says weighted or cement filled that I could tell. However, I found online (Ruby Lane) another similar vase made by RWM that is weighted (marked "CEMENT FILLED"). That one is smaller (104 grams vs. 275 grams), so maybe the weighted base is needed for balance. What also bugs me a bit is that even though the bottom is not flush, which would be a telltale sign of weighted sterling, I do see concentric circles. However, the circles are concave and follow the shape of the base, but the center does not go up like a regular non-weighted item. The seller was adamant that it's not weighted; he confirmed that when he taps on the bottom where the hallmark is, it sounds hollow. I also can't really ask the manufacturer anymore, since they've been out of business since 1940.

In any case, here are some images. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Images of the vase I purchased:

Image of the smaller RWM vase from Ruby Lane that is marked "CEMENT FILLED":

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”