What is this Dunkirk sterling vessel?

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
AllSeasons

What is this Dunkirk sterling vessel?

Post by AllSeasons »

Well, I found the maker and hallmark of this item I newly acquired, but I have no idea what this item is actually for. I've seen similar ones before, and they have been called toothpick holders, cigarette urns, candle holders, etc. Can someone please help shed some light on exactly what it is?

Images are below. Thank you in advance.

fka

Re: What is this Dunkirk sterling vessel?

Post by fka »

It's a cigarette holder, to hold cigarettes for people visiting. They didn't hold many, as most people who smoked brought their own. Host or hostess usually added what might be needed for number of people visiting. A much smaller version of the silver cigarette or cigar box.
This type was often sold in pairs, with matching ashtray, sometimes with a mint dish. No longer popular, but they were often given as engagement or wedding presents in the 1920s - 1960s.
AllSeasons

Re: What is this Dunkirk sterling vessel?

Post by AllSeasons »

fka wrote:It's a cigarette holder, to hold cigarettes for people visiting. They didn't hold many, as most people who smoked brought their own. Host or hostess usually added what might be needed for number of people visiting. A much smaller version of the silver cigarette or cigar box.
This type was often sold in pairs, with matching ashtray, sometimes with a mint dish. No longer popular, but they were often given as engagement or wedding presents in the 1920s - 1960s.
Great! Thank you.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”