Unusual Tomato Server FHW?

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
hpidaves

Unusual Tomato Server FHW?

Post by hpidaves »

I have what I believe to be a 7-1/2" tomato server that seems to be coin silver, but is unmarked. The handle is very pliable, so much so that it seems the narrow part of the handle would barely support the weight of a slice of tomato. There are no maker's marks, except for the three large letters acting as the open part of the blade -- FHW.

A search has turned up only one manufacturer that I could find using those letters -- a German maker Franz and Hermann Wandinger. I am somewhat skeptical, however, on this, being they made silver and gold items for Adolf Hitler's third reich. I would think their items would have a maker's mark.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: Unusual Tomato Server FHW?

Post by dragonflywink »

Eh, this piece is not pre 1860 American coin, and being unmarked, it should be moved to silverplate, but from the look and your description, suspect it may be silver and American, so will move it to the after 1860 sterling forum despite the lack of marks. To my eye, it appears to be a piece made by a student or amateur, the pierced initials would have nothing to with a maker (unless they made it for themselves), it's a monogram, the owner's last name beginning with 'H' - would guess dating from around the 1920s to mid-century...

~Cheryl
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

*duplicate post*
hpidaves

Post by hpidaves »

I did a specific gravity test on the piece with a balance scale (down to 10ths of a gram) and a beaker of water. It came to 10.76, which I realize it is not, seeing as pure silver is 10.5 and sterling is 10.3, and the fact that there are inherent inaccuracies in this type of test. It is most likely close to that, though. Not to mention how flimsy the narrow "neck" of the server is. The bowl literally sags a bit just from picking it up, so it would be hard pressed to even support a tomato slice.

The reply from Cheryl of the piece being made by an amateur would seem to be accurate in my opinion.

Thanks,
Dave
fka

Post by fka »

Could be a piece made by an apprentice to a silver maker. Apprentices had to show their level of skill before being either moved up to a workman level or before being hired to work at another firm. They would be given a small amount of silver to work with, and a silversmith would have evaluated their work.
Some community colleges used to offer courses on smithing, pottery, various forms of handiwork, as long as they were able to find someone with the actual skills willing to teach it as a day or evening college course. Course final would involve making something. Also no need for a company mark.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”