Reed and Barton bread tray no date symbol

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Sherry0202

Reed and Barton bread tray no date symbol

Post by Sherry0202 »

Hello
I have been trying to identify when the bread tray i have was made but there is no date symbol stamped on the piece. There appears to be a faint signature engraved above the Reed & Barton hallmark. I am unable to add a picture of the mark but it appears to be possibly F S- or possibly C over a J S-.
It is also marked sterling x302 beneath the hallmark
Thank you for any insite you can provide.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Reed and Barton bread tray no date symbol

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please embed your images.

https://postimages.org (choose 'Share', then copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code) is recommended. Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Trev.
Sherry0202

Post by Sherry0202 »

[quote="Sherry0202"]Hello
I have been trying to identify when the bread tray i have was made but there is no date symbol stamped on the piece. There appears to be a faint signature engraved above the Reed & Barton hallmark. I am unable to add a picture of the mark but it appears to be possibly F S- or possibly C over a J S-.
It is also marked sterling x302 beneath the hallmark
Thank you for any insite.

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Back in 1980 the price of silver suddenly rose to almost 50 dollars per ounce due to the Hunt Brother's attempt to corner the silver market. ::: There was a lot of theft of sterling silver at this time. :::: People were advised to scratch numbers or initials so that the silver might be able to be identified later; my first guess is that it is an example of that. :::::

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”