Unmarked sterling Twisted Master Butter Knife

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
hpidaves

Unmarked sterling Twisted Master Butter Knife

Post by hpidaves »

This twisted handle master butter knife is marked STERLING on the blade, but I can find no other marks. Based upon the handle and blade pattern styles, I would guess sometime in the late 1800s.

Any guess as to maker?

Thanks,
Dave

Aguest
contributor

Re: Unmarked sterling Twisted Master Butter Knife

Post by Aguest »

Very interesting contrast between the handle and blade. :::: I love these pieces marked only "STERLING" and sometimes I see the same "STERLING" stamp used again and again which I call "The Square Sterling Stamp" because each letter in the word "STERLING" has been compressed into a square ::: It's a distinctive stamp, and I notice it over and over again as the years go by on pieces marked only "STERLING". :::

Back to this knife, the geometric pattern on the handle seems to be more circa 1900 and the blade seems to be circa 1880, almost as if the silversmith was remembering the time when he used to bright cut all those pieces from circa 1880. ::: Or maybe this was made in the 1880s, hard to tell for sure. ::: Do you think the end of the handle has had those two notches cut out? :::: It's an interesting piece, and I've often wanted to amass a collection of only these types of pieces, all made by unknown American silversmiths. ::::
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

What happened here (red arrow) ? Soldered, repaired ?
Regards

hpidaves

Post by hpidaves »

Found!

As I was looking for a Whiting pattern, I found this one -- Diamond 1880.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”