Help with T.W&Co

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dartsil
contributor

Help with T.W&Co

Post by dartsil »

Hello all,

I wonder if anyone can assist with this maker on this snuff box, I am placing in the American section as I believe it to be American, silver all day long but no 'sterling' or 'coin' mark.

AG2012
contributor

Re: Help with T.W&Co

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The best candidate is Thomas Whartenby & Co.
See here:
https://www.925-1000.com/americansilver_W3.html

Your tobacco box perfectly matches the period of their activity in Philadelphia (mid 19th century).
Regards and stay safe
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Google his name: there are several coin silver guilloche snuff boxes and card cases proving they all come from the same workshop (identical marks and guilloche done on the same rose engine lathe).
dartsil
contributor

Post by dartsil »

Many thanks,

That was the maker I had came up with and had dismissed purely because I did not see this identical mark on the site I used. Many thanks for that, I am guessing even without using the word 'coin' as is sometimes seen with American boxes that was common, as in not all pieces marked coin or sterling?
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

A name alone appears on solid coin silver objects from the mid-19th century. ::: I have always seen this in coin silver and never sterling silver. :::
I wonder if there are a lot of sterling silver objects with only a name stamped on them because I do have a silver bowl with only a name stamped on it and it does test for sterling silver (higher than coin) and it seems to have been made on the Mexico-US border (it is stamped "N.HERMANDEZ"). ::: This bowl is the only example I have seen that tests 92.5% and only has a name stamped on it, but perhaps there are other examples out there, it could be that there are some objects which were created on the borders of the USA because both Mexico and Canada have strong traditions based in working with Sterling Silver. :::

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”