Help identifying a Duhme & Co spoon and its pattern

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Phil_B

Help identifying a Duhme & Co spoon and its pattern

Post by Phil_B »

Hi All,

I am hope this post is allowed and that someone may have way of identifying the intended use of a Duhme & Co spoon, my thoughs are maybe Sauce or Gravy, also what the pattern is. I have searched for some time and have been unable to find a match for it. On the spoon there seems to be images of what look like 'pumpkins'. It is marked 'Sterling' '925/1000' 'patent' 'Duhme & Co' and is around 6" long (actual size: straightened out it would be around 9"), The weight if that helps with getting a feel of the item it is just over 56 grams. Thanking you in advance for any help you are able to provide.

Aguest
contributor

Re: Help identifying a Duhme & Co spoon and its pattern

Post by Aguest »

Probably Gravy or Sauce or Cream ladle was the original intention. ;;: The pattern looks similar to the Durgin company's "Chrysanthemum" so maybe the similarity is just coincidental, not sure. ::::
Phil_B

Post by Phil_B »

Thank you for that, you are absolutely right it does look very similar to Durgin "Chrysanthemum" to similar for coincidence in my book. I am guessing there is no reason why it could not be, and Duhme and Co, just acting as a retailer. I did go back and double check as I believe Durgin usually got a 'D' into their marks of their products sold by others, but nothing.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I can't explain it either, but Durgin is known for this pattern. ::: The pattern dies were laborious to make and sometimes they were transferred between companies, so that might be what is happening here, but it is strange that the Durgin "D" is not present right next to the bowl, it looks like there is just more flower-and-leaf parts where the "D" should be, so I'm not sure what is going on ::::
Phil_B

Post by Phil_B »

Again many thanks the one thing that is apparent when looking at the mark but not so much from the photographs is that the Duhme & Co is in a slightly different style to the Sterling 925/1000 Patent. I do love a good puzzle :)

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”