Gorham Pineapple jar

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
maxbernat

Gorham Pineapple jar

Post by maxbernat »

Hi all, just came into this Gorham pineapple jar, sans lid, at a local Goodwill. I haven't found any other examples of it. Plenty of glass jars with sterling lids, but no sterling jars. I also don't see a date mark (can I assume that the A is the date mark, putting this at around 1868?) It measures 3.5" tall. Weighs 236 grams. Nice gold wash inside. I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks.

maxbernat

Re: Gorham Pineapple jar

Post by maxbernat »

BY the way, I'm inclined to have a new lid made out of, say, rosewood, or something else more available.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Might date to circa 1920 would be my guess. :::: About 10 years ago I remember seeing a lid with a pineapple on it, I can't remember the maker, it was a sterling silver lid for a jar with a tiny pineapple on top which would be the part where you grab with your fingers to lift the lid off of the jar. :::: I wish I had kept it because I always wondered if there was a jar out there missing a pineapple lid. ::::
mdhavey

Post by mdhavey »

Wow, what a find -- congrats. I never thought to hunt for beautiful sterling items at a Goodwill!
maxbernat

Post by maxbernat »

Never expected to find it at Goodwill. But it is VERY clearly marked, so I don't know how it got through the vetters.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

This is why we go to flea markets

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”