Hand Mirror-Intaglio + Single Gothic in Shield

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Traintime
contributor

Hand Mirror-Intaglio + Single Gothic in Shield

Post by Traintime »

13 inches plus. Lone maker mark appears to be possible Gothic T, C, W or even G...not very readable but the shield's shape eliminates many known marks. [Found accompanied by Birks brush of unrelated design, but Canada could be the source origins.] No model or pattern numbers. Intaglio "STERLING" word mark. TIA

Aguest
contributor

Re: Hand Mirror-Intaglio + Single Gothic in Shield

Post by Aguest »

I tried but I can't find an exact match, a few are close, but I can't find an exact match, I wish I could see the hallmark in better detail, but even still I don't think I could figure out the manufacturer, will keep trying to figure this one out though :::

The monogram is highly detailed, whoever made that monogram was very skilled, I have noticed this type of monogram on pieces from Russia and Northern Europe, so perhaps whoever made the monogram was trained there, but I still think the manufacturer is American or Canadian, at least at this point I believe that to be true, how could this not be either American or Canadian?

I know some people don't like monograms, but I do like monograms : Look at how each letter has a distinct "style" to it, one letter has that "old english" type of bright-cut with little triangles in a tessellating pattern, another letter has straight-line "art deco" kind of decorations to it, really just a wonderful monogram in my opinion, but I do understand other peoples' opinions on monograms even though I do not happen to share them, I love a great monogram such as this ::::: YES MONO
Traintime
contributor

Re: Hand Mirror-Intaglio + Single Gothic in Shield

Post by Traintime »

Yes, everyone hates a monogram until it turns out to be linked to some notable character..then watch out! You're right about the exasperating search..too many "almost there" shield shapes with nothing conclusive. The monogram design is definitely like those seen on special ordered china for commercial users which made me wonder if this was actually more than a personal item...maybe one of those things available to special guests of perhaps a club. At the least, someone went all out on these initials.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”