Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Dendriet
contributor

LA PIERRE MFG CO - Newark, NJ

Post by Dendriet »

Hi All,

LA PIERRE MFG CO - Newark, NJ

Founded by Frak H. La Pierre in 1888 and incorporated in 1895.
The business was bought in 1929 by International Silver Company

Is something known when it is manufactured?

Dendriet
Traintime
contributor

Re: LA PIERRE MFG CO - Newark, NJ

Post by Traintime »

Very good question. In another thread on a four digit numbered candlestick, we can find Cheryl's sample marks added. I would venture the progression of marks puts the encircled FL with the surrounding word "Sterling" as probably pre-dating the juxtaposition of that word to the right. In their 1947 company history, International Silver showed only the later style looped-FL standing alone (& not encircled) next to the block lettered Sterling...the encircled version may have been dropped already (??). Here follows item 313 1/2 with your type mark. An added "K" is seen, but what is not visible is the lightly hand-engraved number 1434 placed just under the Sterling mark. I believe we also have a thread where Sterling appears stamped in another style of letters (the "wavy E" as I call it). [As extra useless info, my sample was in the company of a Shreve & Co. 11031 bowl with poppy (?) design relief also having lightly engraved, but different numbers (843). Even if we could date that item, we can't be absolutely sure they came from the same household.]

Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

I think your mark is slightly older than mine as you seem to have that sharp angled line leading in to the FL, where mine is the smooth termination associated with International's domain.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

La Pierre Mfg. Co. - Newark, N.J. - 1911

Trev.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”