Unknown silversmith's mark.

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rynegold

Unknown silversmith's mark.

Post by rynegold »

A customer brought this in and wanted it repaired. I tried to find a match for the maker w/no luck. Anyone know this mark? and if so, when the maker was active?

The stamp reads "Geo. J. Sharp Jr."

compliments and regards,
mitch

SteveDWollongong
contributor

Re: Unknown silversmith's mark.

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi Martin,

Focusing on the lower mark : "KB above and below the crossed pick and anvil hammer" - This is the makers mark of Krider & Biddle of Philadelphia. I have found conflicting references online as to when they were in business but trusting the information on this site puts it circa 1860 - 1870.

see http://www.925-1000.com/americansilver_K2.html

In regard to the George Sharp, Jr marks, I have seen auction house references to him as a silversmith but suspect he may have also been a retailer. My instinct says he was likely the retailer in this case but it could be the other way around.

Apparently Sharp was in business in Danville, Kentucky from 1857 to late 1860s moving to Atlanta, Georgia in 1871. (This information came from a US auction house so I'm unsure exactly how accurate it is.) Based on these dates though, it would place the date of manufacture at 1870 - 1871.

If you wait for the amazing Cheryl I'm sure she will be able confirm or provide more accurate info.

Cheers,
Steve
rynegold

Post by rynegold »

Thanks Steve!
silverly

Post by silverly »

Here are a couple links to articles about George Sharp Jr that may be of interest: https://books.google.com/books?id=x6A4A ... ta&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=4ZdQA ... ta&f=false

These articles lead me to believe that George Sharp was in Atlanta not long after the end of the Civil War and possibly retailed the pitcher in 1870. Is there any engraving on the pitcher?
rynegold

Post by rynegold »

Yes, it's engraved... w/modern pantograph style engraving so no clues there! It's badly damaged... I recommended "the silver owl" in New Mexico. The owner has a link to this thread so I'll ask: any tips on good repair people for this thin, holloware?
Jag
contributor

Post by Jag »

You say its badly damaged, but I can't see any damage in your picture. What kind of repair does it need?
silverly

Post by silverly »

rynegold wrote:Yes, it's engraved... w/modern pantograph style engraving...
Regardless of the style, an image of the engraving would be interesting.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”