1860s Gorham sterling silver bud vase with cherubs

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
MooseFriendly

1860s Gorham sterling silver bud vase with cherubs

Post by MooseFriendly »

Hello . . .

I recently acquired this darling little bud vase and would welcome your feedback on the accuracy of my research. The photos are below.

This vase measures 7" tall and just under 3" wide at the base. The maker's marks are noted in my photos and include a right-facing lion, an anchor, and a fancy letter G. Below that is the number 660.

It's my understanding that this vase is sterling silver, as denoted by the lion. Gorham didn't stamp their silver as 'sterling' until 1868, and the right facing lion indicates this piece was made post-1860 or so, which would date this vase to the mid-1860s. Do you agree?

The style of the vase is interesting. From what I've been reading, the number 660 refers to the style, but I haven't been able to learn more about it. I know there were revivals of ancient Greek and Roman art during the 1880s, so I'm wondering if that accounts for the swagging and the cherub or Greek/Roman figures. They don't have wings. My husband very cutely suggested that perhaps they are pre-cherubs or cherubs in the making who haven't earned their wings yet.

Have you come across Gorham sterling with these figures before? How would you describe them: cherubs?

Thank you! :o)

MooseFriendly

Re: 1860s Gorham sterling silver bud vase with cherubs

Post by MooseFriendly »

I've since learned that the "chubby male figures," as they're often called, are cherubs, and they're also known as putti (which is the plural form of putto). It seems cherubs don't always have wings.

Also, I found a website that says unless a piece is marked as 925 or sterling, it's plated. But several sources have confirmed that American sterling wasn't marked until the mid-1800s, and for Gorham not until 1868.

So it seems my vase is indeed sterling, and those chubby little guys are cherubs. :o)
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

What happened to the images?

Trev.
asheland

Post by asheland »

I'd like to see this also.
Sounds like coin silver from the description.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Is this an inverted "099" ? Can we rule out O as a letter symbol for date code (1882)?
asheland

Post by asheland »

This is certainly coin silver and 1860's.
660 is the model number.

Terrific piece!
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Glad you can confirm that. Would all this (coin, right facing, 660) now narrow the date range specifically to 1865-1868?
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

A note to future readers learning Gorham: If you use the search function with basic keywords "Gorham Codes", a series of useful threads will direct you to all the known answers and links including reference materials. Also look at Trev's series of Gorham entries in the contributor's notes section (lower main page). Most of the material is coin or sterling related, but a good start can be made on plateware markings (ex. origins of the three digit code with a zero prefix date to 1863 and continue on). For sterling questions on pieces like the beautiful vase above, pay very careful attention to the style of cartouches to narrow your date range. Good luck and hope you have as much fun reading the entries as I did. This site is amazing once you figure out where to look!
asheland

Post by asheland »

1865-68 is very possible. Remember, 1868 started the sterling standard and they were very consistent with the year codes. A for 1868, B for 1869 and so on.

I would firmly date that vase to 1860-67. That's how I would date it, and it's still a nice narrow window of time.

I've read that model numbers starting with 0 were plated, but I've actually seen pieces with the 0 in the model number and the work COIN stamped so I wouldn't place too much on the zero thing. The "Lion Anchor G" with the STERLING mark is sterling and without is COIN. That's how I see it.

Great vase, by the way! :o)
LovesMoose

Post by LovesMoose »

I wanted to thank everyone for chiming in here. I've become pretty shy about public forums in recent years and actually requested to have my MooseFriendly account deleted. But I really see the value in this forum, and everyone seems to adhere nicely to the forum rules.

So, it seems this cute vase is coin, which is just as fun and interesting as sterling, even not more so considering I never knew about coin silver or its long history in America, where I'm from.

Do you know anything about this particular style with the cherubs? The Victorian Era was known for reviving earlier time periods in the arts, and I think you could describe the styles as very ornate. I'm sure there's a specific term for a piece like this vase, but I can't narrow it down. But a lot of the silver pieces I'm seeing from the mid-1880s had ornate embellishments that must have been influenced from specific artistic movements. Any suggestions?

Thank you!!
LovesMoose

Post by LovesMoose »

"... even more so ..." is how it should have read. No edit button.

And I forgot: Do Gorham style numbers refer to one piece of silver only, or to a whole group of work that are similar in style? So maybe 660 is for pieces from a group of designs that feature cherubs, swagging and a more Romanesque influence?

I'm winging it on Romanesque. :o)
asheland

Post by asheland »

From what I understand, the model number refers to that very piece, the next size up, or a similar vase that's a tad bit different could be a number higher, etc. If you found the same exact vase, it should have the same number.

For instance, this piece:
Is Gorham's Saxon Stag pattern. (The salt cellar in Saxon Stag is very scarce) and I've been able to confirm but a hand full of examples.
Most are coin that I have seen (Marked like yours) but mine, and it's mate, (Which I found online, but don't own) are sterling silver and are a little later in manufacture (1874) However, all the above (coin and sterling) have the same model number.

Just an interesting thing to note. :o)
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Asheland--I should have been more clear. Only when you know already that you are dealing with plate, does the zero prefix and following "production code" have a usefulness (and the total number of digits can range over time). You're correct that one should not assume a number will automatically tell you what the item is made of, and the sterling mark system is very complex. (That's why I recommend reading all those threads.)
asheland

Post by asheland »

I'm honestly not sure the reason for the zero prefix. I just know that the Lion Anchor G is solid silver (coin or sterling) and if it's silver plated, it's the anchor only mark.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Gorham marks were a bit eccentric and inconsistent, likely due to their prolific output - production codes were not in sequential order and the same number might be found on different items; date codes and quality were usually stamped, but not always, the Gorham trademark enough indicator of being solid silver, whether coin or sterling. The mark shown, with numerous small variations, was in use through the 1860s-90s, and as Asheland mentioned, would never appear on plated items, their 'anchor' mark would have been used.

All that said, agree with Asheland that it's most likely circa 1860s, and probably coin rather than sterling - pretty piece, Neoclassical with a bit of Victorian excess.

Would suggest that anyone interested in Gorham or American silver might enjoy reading Carpenter's 'Gorham Silver, 1831-1981'...

~Cheryl
LovesMoose

Post by LovesMoose »

The stag piece is pretty fantastic. I'd love to see a moose piece, though! :o)

I'm going to have the piece tested on the bottom to confirm it's coin, which I suspect it is from everything that's been shared here. I wonder how accurate testing is for discerning between coin and sterling.

"Neoclassical with some Victorian excess" ... great description!
asheland

Post by asheland »

Please don't! I assure you that's coin...

If I was buying that on eBay given those pics, I would buy it with no hesitation.
If you have it tested, it's possible it could be damaged.

I promise you 100% that piece is coin. :o)
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Not a fan of acid testing either - if you feel a need to know the fineness, find someone who will use an XRF spectrometer, non-invasive and more accurate...

~Cheryl
asheland

Post by asheland »

Cheryl is absolutely correct. Those are actually cool and don't harm the piece whatsoever!
The trick is finding somebody that has one.

My friend Tom has one and I scanned a Coffin End tablespoon with it.
It's very interesting to see the true composition of an older item:

Miles Gorham tablespoon, c.1800-10 results: (scanned under the bowl)
LovesMoose

Post by LovesMoose »

Great advice, thank you!!

Coin just really fascinates me. Thanks so much for all the great feedback. :o))

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”