Trying to figure out what this is... please

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
lordbucko

Trying to figure out what this is... please

Post by lordbucko »

Left to my husband in family estate. Cannot get pic of makers mark as it is so small but after the mark it says Sterling 8275 along the bottom rim. Can anyone tell me what this bowl (sans bottom) is? Thanks in advance.

oel
co-admin

Re: Trying to figure out what this is... please

Post by oel »

Hi welcome to the forum. Please provide us with some sizes, tanks.
Perhaps the glass liner is missing.

Oel.
doc

Post by doc »

This is a sugar basket, but also can be used for things like cranberry relish. It would have had a glass liner, usually cobalt or cranberry in color.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Try drawing a picture of the maker's mark, and then post a photo of the drawing.

Trev.
lordbucko

Post by lordbucko »

Thanks for answering me. It measures from base to rim 2.5 inches high x 3.5" in diameter (this is without the handle). I am trying to no avail to read the mark, but it is so tiny just prior to the word "sterling" that even with a magnifying glass I still cannot make it out. It is just a small circle and the marking within is obscure. Will research further to see if I can find anything that looks similar and will post if I come across it. Once again, thank you for all your responses.
lordbucko

Post by lordbucko »

Well as much as I can determine (not even close to 100% sure) it might be Watson as it looks like a circle formed by two faint filigree leaves meeting to form the circle and some sort of faint line going down the middle. Sorry I can't be more descriptive or precise. I do appreciate the input.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”