Silver makers mark on Ewer! S&F sterling ,Thanks

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
londonsilver

Silver makers mark on Ewer! S&F sterling ,Thanks

Post by londonsilver »

Hello,
I am a long time dealer in English and Russian Silver but know nothing about American silver . I recently aquired a sterling silver ewer and plate and would like to know if anybody out there can help me identify the makers mark? it is marked ( S&F Sterling #568 ) The ewer is of very nice quality ,it has applied silver leaves inset with stones which appear to be turquose? on the ewer and the under plate, it also has a very appealing matt finish to the lower portion and part of the plate. any help would be much appreciated! I will try and help anyone who has a question about silver in my field, English and Russian. Many thanks! Thanks for the help with the pics!

Joe

(pic edit 5/8, admin)
Last edited by londonsilver on Wed May 04, 2005 9:27 am, edited 8 times in total.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
I haven't been able to find the mark in any reference source. The mark does look American,
but the piece really looks like it's of Italian origin. Are there any other marks tucked away on it?.
Tom
londonsilver

Post by londonsilver »

Hi Tom,
No other marks on this piece. It came from an estate of a 95 year old woman who had a lot of Mexican silver and other pieces from around the world. This piece is marked on the underside of the plate and also on the ewer , inside the bottom shaft. The handle does look Italian but the stones (torquise?) I have only seen on American and Mexican pieces? and the marks do appear to be American, that is what's baffling. I appreciate your effort!

Joe
londonsilver

Post by londonsilver »

Thanks for you effort! I have found the mark to be that of an American manufacturer Swift & Fisher (makers of ecclesiastical plate) Thanks!
Joe
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Joe,

Great, can you tell me where you found the info? I've found a jewelry manufacturer by that name in Attleboro, MA. but can find nothing else on them.

Tom
londonsilver

Post by londonsilver »

Hello,
A fellow ebayer informed me this was the mark or Swift & Fisher and I verified by doing an internet search, finding the company to manufacture mostly Ecclesiastical plate. I could not find out where they are located or how long they have been in business though! I am still looking into this. Thanks!

Joe
silverly

Post by silverly »

Joseph H Swift (toolmaker) & Harry W Fisher (son of Clarence H Fisher jewelry manufacturer)

The following is information about Swift & Fisher that was extracted from Attleboro Business Directories:

1913 jewelry manufacturers North Attleboro

1915 manufacturing jewelers Richards Bldg, North Attleboro

1921 manufacturer of Religious articles

1934 the estate of Joseph H Swift, deceased, and Harry W Fisher.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Silverly,

Not sure if this is the same source, or maybe another, for the 1913 detail.

Listed under the 'Jewelry' section.

Swift & Fisher,
30, Chestnut Street,
North Attleborough.

Source: A Directory of Massachusetts Manufactures. Published by the Massachusetts Bureau of Statistics. 1913.

Trev.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Thanks Trev. The information I gave for that year was from the Attleboro, North Attlebor, and Plainville, Massachusetts Directory 1913, Sampson & Murdoch Publishers, Providence, Rhode Island. Not giving a street name was an oversight.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”