Dominick and Haff weighted basket

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
kozy845

Dominick and Haff weighted basket

Post by kozy845 »

I have a Dominick and Haff basket. It's marked "Sterling". When it came I saw that the base was not open and that it was weighted inside. It is not marked weighted or reinforced. I find it hard to believe that the weight inside is made of silver. Has anyone seen a reputable company like D & H do this?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

What is disreputable about weighting a piece for stability?
Regards, Tom
salmoned
contributor

Post by salmoned »

What may be disreputable is if an internet seller provided the weight, but not information that the item is weighted.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The question was about the actions of a manufacturer, what an internet seller may or may not have done is way out of the realm of this forum.
Posting Requirements
byron mac donald

Post by byron mac donald »

Hello-

I think it should be marked as weighted also. It seems to me that I have seen a post here on this forum awhile back, about a charger that was re-weighed every time it was engraved, hence it's large number of weight marks. Perhaps this was done because it started out with a stated weight, I simply do not remember. I also do not know what the law's on selling silver items are; but being a precious metal, it would just seem to follow that selling silver without stating that it has been weighted, even though it is for stability is deceptive at the least. Disreputable? I am not sure, this would depend on if it was done as standard practice, or just an oversight by the manufacturer.

Regards- Byron
maxbernat

Re: Dominick and Haff weighted basket

Post by maxbernat »

Hello all,

Very interesting question. I have a 1950s cedar-lined Poole cigarette box. It is marked Sterling by Poole 82A on the bottom. No other marks. I have seen the same box, with the same model number, but with a "weighted" stamp just below the model number. My box weighs 617 grams, pretty hefty. Can I assume that it is all sterling (and cedar)? Thanks. Kent
maxbernat

Post by maxbernat »

Here's the poole pic I referenced. Image
lion925

Post by lion925 »

maxbernat wrote:I have a 1950s cedar-lined Poole cigarette box. It is marked Sterling by Poole 82A on the bottom. No other marks. I have seen the same box, with the same model number, but with a "weighted" stamp just below the model number. My box weighs 617 grams, pretty hefty. Can I assume that it is all sterling (and cedar)? Thanks. Kent
I have taken apart and re-lined many cigarette boxes. I've found that some of them are have a sheet of lead or sometimes steel under the cedar bottom of the box, between the wood and the base. I've never seen a "weighted" mark on a box, though.
-Leo
jerseygirl153

Post by jerseygirl153 »

I have a candy compote by Dominick & Haff and it specifies on the bottom that it is weighted with cement.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”