Assistance with Maker

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dartsil
contributor

Assistance with Maker

Post by dartsil »

Hi all

I am not sure by any means this is American but it is my first thought so hopefully someone will recognise the maker where ever it may be from.

A lion over the words Silver Sterling.

BurrFarmer

Re: Assistance with Maker

Post by BurrFarmer »

Possibly Birks. The tongue on the creature and the heavy line underneath make me think so, anyway. Happy to be proven wrong.

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

:::: I thought it was Australian, and now that I take a closer look at the animal, it seems to have the head of a lion and the body of a boxing kangaroo. :::
:::: The boxing kangaroo has been a recognized symbol in Australia since circa 1900. :::::
:::: Even if the kangaroo-lion symbol was completely absent, I still would have suspected Australia as the most likely candidate. ::::
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Possibly Poole Silver Co.:

Trev.
silverly

Post by silverly »

dognose wrote:Possibly Poole Silver Co.:
I get surprised all the time, but I've never seen American silver marked Silver over Sterling.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I'm not without my doubts by a long chalk, it's just the closest I've found so far and offered only as a possibility.

Trev.
AGHEAD
contributor

Post by AGHEAD »

The piece type and quality surely don't match the maker of Poole. I've never seen a piece of their silver in this quality, their goods were of low quality typically. Nothing nearly as nice as this piece. As far as Birks, the quality of the piece matches their better work, but the markings are all wrong. The silver before sterling makes me think of the native language of the maker isn't English.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I'll move the topic to the 'Other Countries' section of the forum to see if we have better luck there.

Trev.

Return to “Other Countries”