Berry Spoon Hallmark

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Daddy1947

Berry Spoon Hallmark

Post by Daddy1947 »

I hope I am posting to the correct category? I have a Sterling Silver Berry Spoon which I have had for years. At one time I thought it was Mexican but I recently did research in Mexican Hallmarks and could not find this. I am hoping that some astute member of this forum can help me. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
Aguest
contributor

Re: Berry Spoon Hallmark

Post by Aguest »

:::: This is a bon-bon spoon with a fruit-stamped bowl which is usually seen with hallmarks by both Stieff & Kirk but I don't understand this hallmark. :::::

:::: These are Baltimore companies so this should go into the American Sterling category and hopefully someone will know about this hallmark. ::::

:::: I've never seen this hallmark before so I don't know if it is associated with the Stieff or Kirk companies. :::::
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Not a hallmark, but a maker's mark.

See: https://www.925-1000.com/americansilver__Unk.html

Trev.
Daddy1947

Post by Daddy1947 »

@dognose:

Thank you so much for the referral. You led me right to a page that had the correct mark!

I know someone here could come through for me.

Jim
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

This mark has been attributed to mid 20th century New York City maker Hamilton Silver Co., Inc., typically found on Scandinavian-inspired pieces, though not always, as is the case here. I've done cursory research over the years, but haven't found much - did locate a trademark registry from 1937, but couldn't seem to track it down any further to see if the trademark might be this one or was just their simple 'HAMILTON' mark...

The post noting attribution in an auction description: viewtopic.php?t=22728

The 1937 trademark info, such as it is:

~Cheryl
silverly

Post by silverly »

U S Patent Office July6, 1937 Official Gazette
silverly

Post by silverly »

If it hasn’t already been mentioned, it seems possible that Hamilton was also a retailer of Kirk products.
Daddy1947

Post by Daddy1947 »

@silverly Funny you should mention that as this is almost an exact copy of the Kirk Repousse 9" Berry Spoon.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Was hoping you'd see this, Silverly, and use your skill to locate the image!

Is there a reason you believe Hamilton was a retailer? Personally, haven't seen any indication they were anything other than a wholesale manufacturer.

A size wasn't noted, but this appears to be a copy of the large berry spoon (9-1/8") in Kirk's 'Repousse' - given the less than crisp detailing and slight distortion of the pattern, along with what appear to be tiny pinhole casting flaws in the bowl and on the back, would suspect it was cast from a Kirk original (the slight difference in proportions likely due to camera angles).

~Cheryl
silverly

Post by silverly »

dragonflywink wrote:Is there a reason you believe Hamilton was a retailer? Personally, haven't seen any indication they were anything other than a wholesale manufacturer.
No, as per usual you are correct. I don't find a lot about them and nothing to do with retail.

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”