arts & crafts w/ curious hallmarks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
shauna

arts & crafts w/ curious hallmarks

Post by shauna »

I have this wine bottle coaster made of copper and I believe sterling silver. My question is or are, can you help me date this piece and who might be the maker? Should I polish the silver areas in attempt not to destroy the patina on the copper or just leave it alone? It is 6 1/2 inches wide and 2 1/2 inches deep with a wood base.
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

I believe your piece was made by the Barbour Silver Company, Hartford & Meriden, Connecticut.
Founded in 1892.
Became part of the International Silver Company in 1898.
International continued to use the Barbour trademark to 1931.
Specialized in heavily chased and engraved holloware silverplated on a nickel silver base.
From 1921 to 1931 they also produced a line of "Dutch" silver (silverplate on coppper).

Pat.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,
As Patrick points out, it is a silverplate piece, the grape motif mounts are not sterling.
I imagine the mixed metals made you think it was an arts & crafts piece, but it is a straightforward reproduction of a late Georgian period wine coaster. At one time the entire piece was silvered, but polish wear has removed it. The grape and leaf mounts are made of white metal, so won't go coppery and probably still have much of their plating.
At this point, polishing can't hurt a thing and might even make it a pretty table ornament.
Regards, Tom
shauna

Post by shauna »

Wow! You guys are great! I searched for hours!Can you explain the definition of an arts and crafts piece for me? Thanks! Shauna
Waylander
co-admin

Post by Waylander »

Try here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arts_and_Crafts_movement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Waylander

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”