Help identifying a W.R. Ladle?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Mary Anne

Help identifying a W.R. Ladle?

Post by Mary Anne »

Hello, I recently purchased a small serving ladle that has a mark I can't identify. (I will be very embarrased if it is William Rogers)... :o) It isn't marked 'Sterling', so not knowing if it is American or not, I took a chance and placed it here. There is a WR in the "Old Silver" book for an American Silversmith but it doesn't show the other hallmarks.
<p>
It is marked with a cross W R and what looks like an urn or vessel. There is a 'pat. apld. for'. Thanks in advance for your time and information. Mary Anne

[/img]
vicmollo

Post by vicmollo »

If you can put up picture of the handle, might be able to ID from pattern
Mary Anne

Post by Mary Anne »

I hope the pictures come up clear enough for you. Thank you for your time and information. It is very much appreciated. Mary Anne

ImageImage

[/img]
vicmollo

Post by vicmollo »

Pattern [called IRVING] looks just like the one in Silverplated Flatware book (sorry), under Oneida/+W.R. Keystone, so that fits with the W.R. Don't know anything about the company, hard to keep track of them all.
Cheers
vic
Mary Anne

Post by Mary Anne »

Thank you very much for your help with the identification. I took your information and was able to find the exact ladle on the internet under 'W.R. Keystone 1916 Irving'. How exciting!

Now, I need to study how different companies worked with patterns. I didn't know that multiple companies made similar patterns. Would you mind telling me a good reference book I might use to study the patterns and history of companies? I only have the 'Old Silver' book, but need to invest in additional books. Thanks again for all your help!

Mary Anne
vicmollo

Post by vicmollo »

Hi Mary Anne,
I use Tere Hagen's Silverplated Flatware for pattern ID. I've got a well-thumbed (hours and hours of flipping pages, the patterns all start to look the same after a while) 4th ed., which still works fine for me. There's also Replacements online, which has pictures but takes even longer. I'd like to get the Stainless Flatware ID book for myself but there don't seem to be any cheap copies around.
As for sorting out the manufacturers, I've given up (for silverplate anyway, sterling a different story) - it's sort of like that Bible chapter, this one begat that one, begat that one ... and on and on.
But it's all fun.
vic
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

The mark (used on medium grade plate) on your piece is for Wm. A. Rogers, Ltd., became part of Oneida in 1929. Would suggest Rainwater's Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufacturers as your next book (I prefer the 4th revised to the newer 5th). Always helps narrow down pattern identification if you know who made the piece.

Cheryl ;o)

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”