Large Greek mythology tray - need help with ID

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Griffin

Large Greek mythology tray - need help with ID

Post by Griffin »

Hi. I recently acquired a large silver plated tray with 3D sculptures depicting Greek mythology around the perimeter. I’ve been doing a lot of research figuring out what is depicted, but so far I haven’t been able to figure out who made it or when it was made. Any help with this is appreciated. It has only one hallmark and I have not been able to find the hallmark on any websites. There is significant wear in some places so I think it is pretty old.

The tray is 28.25 x 13.5 x 2.125 inches and weighs 11.3 pounds.

Here’s what I know about the imagery:

The faces in the corners are Artemis (Greek goddess of the hunt, called Diane by the Romans) and Dionysus (Greek god of wine, called Bacchus by the Romans).
The group of people from left to right are Dionysus (holding a pinecone topped staff), Artemis (holding a harp), and nymphs caring for the guy who raised Dionysus (who was a drunk).
The stag scene with hunting dogs is from a popular legend where a hunter watched Artemis bathing naked in a stream. She caught him and turned him into a stag, which his hunting dogs attacked.
other scenery is various wilderness scenes with mountain nymphs, cupids, Artemis hunting, and grapes.
The feet are fish, which I think is because Artemis was originally a river nymph.
Thanks for the help!
Griffin

Re: Large Greek mythology tray - need help with ID

Post by Griffin »

Anybody have any tips on where I could look to find out what this silverplated hallmark is? So far I've been unable to find any information on it. Any nudges in the right direction would be appreciated.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”