Please assist me in identifying what the 18 mark means on silver serving tray

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Gtrainer

Post by Gtrainer »

Inherited a large, elegant serving tray. In the back of the tray there is an "18" engraved on it and I cannot readily identify what the heavy tray is exactly in terms of material. It polishes like silver but would like to get as much information on maybe year or at least the meaning of the "18" mark. Thank you!

[img]<blockquote%20class="imgur-embed-pub"%20lang="en"%20data-id="a/4H5bD3W"%20data-context="false"%20><a%20href="//imgur.com/a/4H5bD3W"></a></blockquote><script%20async%20src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"%20charset="utf-8"></script>[/img]

[img]<blockquote%20class="imgur-embed-pub"%20lang="en"%20data-id="a/4H5bD3W"%20data-context="false"%20><a%20href="//imgur.com/a/4H5bD3W"></a></blockquote><script%20async%20src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"%20charset="utf-8"></script>[/img]
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Please assist me in identifying what the 18 mark means on silver serving tray

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please embed your images as very few members will click on such links.

https://postimages.org (choose 'Share', then copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code) is recommended. Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Trev.
Gtrainer

Post by Gtrainer »

I inherited a large, elegant serving tray. In the back of the tray there is an "18" engraved on it and I cannot readily identify what the heavy tray is exactly in terms of material. It polishes like silver but would like to get as much information on maybe year or at least the meaning of the "18" mark. Possibly the weight but unsure. Thank you!

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Please assist me in identifying what the 18 mark means on silver serving tray

Post by dognose »

Hi,

I think as the numerals '18' are struck in such a simple manner, that they probably relate to some kind of internal factory order/batch/stock type of reference, rather than an indicator of quality etc.

Trev.
Gtrainer

Post by Gtrainer »

Hi Trev,

I have more...while looking closely I found the manufacturer stamp, which is Argentor Wien. So most likely from the little I learned, it's from Based on from Vienna/Austrian or Germany.  Below is the stamp.

Aside from the 18 engraving on the back, there is also stamped "23" on both the handle of the tray and the rim.

I just want to know whether I'm dealing with real silver or silver plated, etc. Again, any additional feedback would be most appreciated.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”