Coffee/Tea Set - No idea of material or Origin

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
jjhigdon

Coffee/Tea Set - No idea of material or Origin

Post by jjhigdon »

Good day experts!
I found this exquisite tea/coffee set yesterday at a thrift shop. I was so excited as it's going to be part of my Halloween decor :-) Upon closer inspection, however, I noticed some markings on the bottom of each of the coffee & tea pots as well as the sugar and milk containers (a pineapple with hand engraved signature and a number). I think found a series of hallmarks on the serving tray only. I have no idea if it's silver, silver plated, or even silver at all. I don't really care as I love, love, love it but now I'm curious. I've searched Google and this site for some ideas but alas, I've fallen short. I'm including pictures of the pineapple marking, the hallmarks as well as the full set. I hope someone out there can help me. Thanks so much and I appreciate your efforts. Fingers crossed I was able to add the photos properly!!!
~Jenn

jjhigdon

Re: Coffee/Tea Set - No idea of material or Origin

Post by jjhigdon »

I just found a set online that looks just like it!

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello "Jjhigdon" welcome to our Forum. Your beverage set is likely to be silver plated. The 4 marks in a row look like pseudo hallmarks. They are stamped on plated items to look like official guaranteed silver standard hallmarks and suggest the item is solid silver when it is not. English silver at "sterling grade" is guaranteed by a standing lion. You do have a standing "cat" but it is looking in the wrong direction compared to 99.999% of English items. You also have a "wig stand" mark to mimic the official Monarch's head. There is no maker's mark (initials) and the colonial (perhaps North American) silversmiths who did sometimes use pseudo hallmarks would have marked their items. The interesting mark is the pineapple mark. It has been used by several companies over time. Barker Brothers the forerunners of Ellis-Barker Silver Co. used that type of mark in the early 20th century. You can see an example and a bit more information in our silverplate reference section.

Fishless
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

The ASCAS trail (scroll down to entry) with a fuller Pineapple and EPNS leading by links toward Barker Brothers (later Barker-Ellis) as recorded on Guido's site: https://www.ascasonline.org/newsLUGLI110.html

Don't feel comfortable enough to jump to a final conclusion, but evidence seems to weigh toward likely source..maybe having to do with that American branch?
jjhigdon

Post by jjhigdon »

Hello Fishless & Traintime!

Thank you so much for your efforts in looking at my pieces. And Admin - I'm so sorry for posting that link! I read the rules and was aware that we couldn't post links to auction sites but I honestly didn't even know what *insert name of website* was lol so I plead ignorance. I promise to be more careful in the future!

I'm wondering now if I have two separate pieces - that they are not a set (even though I purchased at the thrift store as a set). The serving tray is quite heavy and has different design elements upon closer inspection. The coffee & tea set pieces, however, are quite light! So, perhaps an Ellis-Barker tea set but the tray is by another person/company.

Regardless, I feel love my purchase and I've enjoyed playing detective!

Jenn
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Jenn,

Welcome to the Forum.

The tray is likely to be the product of F. & M. Weintraub of New York.

Here's an example of one of their marks:

I'm sure you can see the similarities.

All in all, I would say all of your pieces date to the last years of the first decade of the 20th century.

Trev.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

This, of course, is where the waters get muddied. Both F. & M. Weintraub and The Sheffield Silver Company (Brooklyn) existed at the same time until the merger into Weintraub-Sheffield (with only M. Weintraub noted among the principals forming it). Before that, Weintraub had re-organized as F. & M. Weintraub Company Incorporated...Gorham nipping at their heels at least twice in the records might have something to do with the changes. Later, the Weintraub name just disappears from the books which simply state The Sheffield Silver Company moved to Norton Mass. and ended up in Reed & Barton by 1974 (Rainwater). We know a "man-head" pseudo appeared among the sterling marks, so perhaps the "wig-stand" version was used only in the plated wares. But which of the two companies originated this false-marks set is not clear. Given the swift kick by the courts in 1909, Weintraub seems most likely but more "datable" evidence will be needed to be conclusive.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Another similar example of the marks:

Trev.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”