Who were S.J. Levi & Co.?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Who were S.J. Levi & Co.?

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

I took a quick photo of this mark on the bottom of an electroplated pierced fruit bowl as I didn't recognise the maker. After a bit of research I came to a slightly clearer example of the pictorial part of the manufacturers mark. The Reg.Number on the bowl base suggests manufacture 1919 or later.

With "S.J L.& Co" name and "Leviathan Plate" trade mark it didn't take long to find the bowl's maker, "S.J Levi & Co" of "Squirrel Works" Birmingham, UK. The slightly crisper image of the squirrel pictorial mark suggests "Squirrel Brand" was also a trademark or trade name for "S.J Levi & Co . I was a bit dime really as I did not immediately work out that the surname "Levi" was in "Leviathan Plate".
I, like many members of our Forum probably are, was familiar with the company "Levi & Salaman" and their "Potosi Silver" trademark and wondered if there was a connection to this "S.J Levi & Co" as they were both Birmingham based concerns. On our Forum we appear to have only 1 reference to "S.J Levi & Co" but many on "Levi & Salaman Ltd". Below is the "S.J Levi & Co" reference that is in a list of :

"Noted members of the Birmingham Jewellers' & Silversmiths' Association who carried on an export trade in 1920:"

Levi (S. J.) & Co., Ltd.
Levi (S. M.).
Levi & Salaman, Ltd.

Apart from "S.J" and "L&S" we see an "S.M.Levi" and there is a reference on the Forum for that firm at

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=14729&p=82603&hili ... ham#p82603

I thought I would look for more information on "S.J Levi & Co" but it seems a bit scanty. They appear to have turned up in Birmingham from nowhere.
Peck's Trades Directory of Birmingham, 1896-97 has

Levi & Salaman, Ltd. as Silversmiths at 143 Newhall St
and a "Samuel M. Levi" Jewellers at 16 Frederick St

I could not find an entry for "S.J Levi" in any expected category though.

Bennett's 1914 Business Directory for Warwickshire did however have 2 entries,1 as "Electroplate Ware Manufacturers", at "Squirrel Works, 8 St Georges Terrace, Brearley". The other entry was at "Squirrel Works, surprisingly at "Regent Place", where S J Levi & Co were "Silversmiths & Electroplate Manufacturers". I think, Squirrel Works, 8 St Georges Terrace, is an earlier address as Squirrel Works, Regent Place was a purpose built , factory constructed after 1912.
This is a quote from a heritage project relating to Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter.

"1912 Planning consent granted for the demolition of the original buildings on site and construction of a new purpose-built three-storey manufactory designed by architect John G. Dunn..."

https://th.jewelleryquarter.net/researc ... %20Company

The website silvermakersmarks.co.uk, gives information regarding the "silversmithing" part of the concern, stating that a Birmingham silver mark was registered Dec 1901. The address for S J Levi & Co says "Squirrel Works, 32 Regent Place, Birmingham", but silver items have only been noted as being hallmarked 1923..1936. I noted a thimble hallmarked for 1919 while researching but several other items I saw were pierced work.

If you put "S.J Levi & Co" in a "Google" search, a late 19th century London company turns up, and not obviously an electroplating concern.

"Originally established by Samuel Joseph Levi (son of Joseph Levi) and based at 71 Farringdon Road, London. In 1892 A C Jones joined the company. In 1897 the company was dissolved...."

In the "Post Office London Directory, 1895. [Part 4: Trades & Professional Directory]", this "S.J Levi & Co" is a "Photographic Apparatus Manufacturers (who) 71 Farringdon Rd London" (I think the "who" in the entry may mean "wholesaler"). They were selling among others a "Leviathan" brand of camera?

The Birmingham S.J Levi & Co is suggested to have gone out of business in the late 1930's but does anyone have any Ideas on the earlier history of "S.J Levi & Co", "Silversmiths & Electroplate Manufacturers".

Fishless

In my research I came across a few more "Levi" references for Birmingham, and I offer them up here for others.
Business Directory of Birmingham, by Morris 1862
Jacob M Levi 119 Vyse St Jeweller

Peck's Trades Directory of Birmingham, 1896-97
Levi & Salaman, Ltd. 143 Newhall St Silversmiths
Levi Samuel M. 16 Frederick St Jeweller

Bennett's Business Directory for Warwickshire, 1914
S Levi 67, 68 & 69 Vyse St. Electroplate Ware Manufacturers
S M Levi 67, 68 & 69 Vyse St. Silversmiths

This entry in "White & Co.'s Commercial & Trades Directory of Birmingham, Vol. II, 1875", relating to the Potosi Silver Co, I think is interesting.

"The Potosi Silver Metal & Electroplate Spoon & Fork Co" is at 21 Barr St, Birmingham using the name they had before being part of Levi & Salaman. Elsewhere it is stated "Potosi Silver Co" is a "Subsidiary of Levi and Salaman Ltd. of 143 Newhall Street, Birmingham" and "1870: Company established by J. W. Salaman and P. H. Levi" (Joseph Wolff Salaman and Phineas Harris Levi).
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Re: Who were S.J. Levi & Co.?

Post by silvermakersmarks »

The S J Levi of this company is probably Samuel Joseph Levi, born Birmingham 21 July 1876, son of Abraham Levi an immigrant from Poland and Beeny Harris or Henry who had married one year earlier. Abraham Levi is listed in censuses as a pawnbroker. He died in 1885 at the age of 80 and his wife took the business over. In the 1901 census Beeny is listed as a pawnbroker and Samuel as "pawnbroker manager".

Samuel married Isabella Rudelsheim in 1904 and by 1911 when Samuel is listed as an "electro plate manufacturer" they have a son and 2 daughters with a second son born in 1912.

In 1939 the family still lives at the same address in Lyttleton Road, Edgbaston as in 1911. Samuel is still an electroplate manufacturer but neither of his sons have joined him in the trade; Jack is living in Hackney employed as a draper's "salesman & collector" and Charles is living with his parents as a film traveller. Samuel's age at this time, 63, and the lack of family interest probably explains the demise of the company.

Phil
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Re: Who were S.J. Levi & Co.?

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Thank you Phil for your time on research for my question. I have looked again at the on line directories that I can access but could not find "Samuel Joseph". Sadly, the important directories (around 1901) when the Birmingham silver mark was registered, do not appear to be readily available on Iine. Your "Levi" family has the good Birmingham connection and ought to be the originators of "S.J.Levi & Co". One more fragment of information from somewhere could be a clincher.

Fishless

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”