Pewter hallmarks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
MiB

Pewter hallmarks

Post by MiB »

Hello, these are stamps on the pewter jug. I'm intereted in 2 picture stamps as per photo if anyone knows what they say. Thank you.
Image[/img]
Image[/img]
[url=https://postimg.cc/qtVXy1KC][img]h ... .jpg[/img][/url]
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Pewter hallmarks

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Always embed your images:

Trev.
OldSchool
contributor

Post by OldSchool »

I see "Titre Légal" offered on sales listings so often as if it's a maker's name. It's not.

On French pewter (étain) this phrase is widely used where no precise percentage of tin within the alloy is quoted, and it simply denotes a pewter alloy that is at least 85% tin. This is actually a fairly low percentage, and most French pewter is 90% tin or higher, often 97%. The reference to Titre Légal also appears frequently in asociation with "Etain d'Art". Again, not the maker.

Towards the top right you have the punchmark for Gras et Etienne. This comprises a briar rose (known in French as an Eglantine) topped by a crown, from which three feathers are sprouting. Gras et Etienne was based near Angers (where we regularly go to browse the Saturday antiques market!) from about 1710 through to 1980, when the original company went into liquidation. Output reached a peak around 1900 - 1920.

Some while after it went bankrupt, the company was reformed as Les Étains de France, although some of the workers made redundant by the closure went on to establish a new company known as Les Étains du Roy René. There was also another company which traded as "Maison Rose" that used a similar symbol of the crowned rose with feathers, founded in 1973 in the same départment, with links to former workers from Gras et Etienne, but the punchmark is simpler.

I believe that the punchmarked 69, the symbol for the astrological period of Cancer, is a date mark, but I don't know which year - sorry.
MiB

Post by MiB »

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. This looks almost like the same stamp from another item - a pewter dish with a lid - that is easier to read. Image

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”