Ongoing mystery of the MMC (crowned) mark & Meneses Orfebres

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
OldSchool
contributor

Ongoing mystery of the MMC (crowned) mark & Meneses Orfebres

Post by OldSchool »

I have seen several threads here concerning the attribution of a mark that appears fairly regularly online, in particular with regard to heavy silver-plated trays. Here are three examples - some from the 925-1000 archives:

Based upon the similarity between the middle of these three marks, which can be interpreted as either a stylised fleur-de-lys, or an equally stylised letter "M", this mark has frequently been attributed the the firm of Meneses Orfebres of Madrid.

However, I have recently been in communication with Sol Meneses, one of the current family members still associated with the firm, and have had an assurance that the mark is most definitely not one of theirs. I was sent a selection of files with graphic representations of the company's marks since it was founded by Don Leoncio Meneses as Plata Meneses in Madrid in 1840. These are:

The covernote stated: "Attached we send the images of the different marks used throughout the history of Plata Meneses. As you can see, the ones you sent do not correspond to any of them. I have been consulting an encyclopedia of marks of Spanish silver and I cannot find them there either, but I do not believe these marks are from a Spanish or South American manufacturer. Un saludo, Sol Meneses"

There are dozens of items regularly listed on sites like eBay and Etsy that state that pieces bearing the "MMC" mark are by Meneses Orfebres, although it seems they are not. I have searched here, and can't find a thread that offers any alternative. Have I missed the solution to this mystery, or is it still open?
dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: Ongoing mystery of the MMC (crowned) mark & Meneses Orfebres

Post by dragonflywink »

Years ago, our late friend and co-admin Pat noticed a similarity in the center symbol of this mark and the Meneses trademark, it was discussed here several times, and in the ways of the internet, a very tentative attribution to Meneses somehow became 'fact', indiscriminately spread, even though they remain onsite here as 'Unknown'. Personally, have never believed any connection in any way to Meneses, I believed, and still do, that the center mark is a clumsy rendition of the fleur-de-lis in other versions of this mark, and would suggest, since 'Eton' labels are found with these marks, and Rainwater notes 'Eton Silver Inc.' of Glendale, NY was a manufacturer and importer in the 1960s and '70s, that these marks most likely belong to them.

Thank you, OldSchool, for taking the initiative and contacting Mr. Meneses, hopefully now putting this faulty attribution to rest...

~Cheryl

https://www.925-1000.com/silverplate__Unk.html

I'd posted a comparison of the marks long ago, but those images are gone, even in my files, so I've made another:

From Rainwater's 'Encyclopedia of American Silver Manufacturers':

OldSchool
contributor

Re: Ongoing mystery of the MMC (crowned) mark & Meneses Orfebres

Post by OldSchool »

Thanks Cheryl. I do recall reading about the link with Eton, and it certainly makes sense. The style of these marks is so much more typical of American-based manufacturers, typically from the first half of the 20th century. It's good to see all those examples together again in one place, and hopefully will allow others to compare, and perhaps reduce the incidence of seeing these marks attributed to Meneses.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”