Mark "OLRI" and "Q" on silver plated bowl

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
OldSchool
contributor

Mark "OLRI" and "Q" on silver plated bowl

Post by OldSchool »

I'm struggling to identify the mark on a silver-plated bowl. The bowl itself looks like this ...

Here are three views of the mark - different shots of the same mark, in the hope of shedding light on what it says. I read it as "DLRL", but could be OLRL, in an oval. accompanied by what looks to be a "Q"

Any guidance gratefully received.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Mark "DLRL" and "Q" on silver plated bowl

Post by dognose »

Hi,

I believe that's 'OLRI'. Silver-plated ware by Rino Greggio Argenterie.

See: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=27003&p=66475&hilit=olri#p66475

Trev.
OldSchool
contributor

Re: Mark "DLRL" and "Q" on silver plated bowl

Post by OldSchool »

Thanks Dognose for the very quick response. Yes, having delved a little further, I have found a couple of other examples of the mark, a little clearer, as well as a trademark registration for this "logo" of the 'word' "OLRI" in an oval.

The company was founded in 1948 by Rino Greggio, who had been an apprentice silversmith in Padua before the war. It appears that he worked exclusively in silver (typically, 800 grade) until 1967, when he launched a line of products in silver plate, and chose the brand name "OLRI" to distinguish these from the company's regular silverware. By the 1970s Greggio Argenterie had become a significant player in the manufacture of cutlery and silverware, with retail outlets worldwide, including a dedicated department in Harrods. The business is still going strong today, although the OLRI brand is no longer used.
OldSchool
contributor

Re: Mark "OLRI" and "Q" on silver plated bowl

Post by OldSchool »

Are you able to change the subject line for this post, in case anyone else is searching for the mark?

Also interested to know if there's any significance to the "Q" ...

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”