Pluro Silver Trade Name and "SL" Mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Pluro Silver Trade Name and "SL" Mark

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello over the last 2 or 3 years I have been saving images of this "Pluro Silver" trade name with the hope of finding the associated originating concern (and my close family are suggesting I am a bit of a sad person for doing that).

My thoughts were that the "SL" in a "shield" mark could be a mark of a "version" of "George Shalford Lee" of Sheffield or perhaps a mark of "Suckling Ltd" of Sheffield. One of the saved images did have an unsubstantiated suggestion for another possible "SL", a "Sidney Latimer". You can see in the composite images some variations, including the "Electro Pluro" mark and the "SL & S" presumably a "and son" (or sons) marks.
Suckling Ltd is my least favourite option for Pluro Silver as the majority of Suckling's electroplate marks also have the "signpost" pictorial mark present. The "George Shalford Lee" concern was joined with Henry Wigful to become the large electroplating company of "Lee & Wigful, usual mark "L&W" and there is no mention of an "and son" version for Shadford Lee. Is "Pluro Silver" then a trade name of this "Sidney Latimer"?

Our Forum does have a reference to Sidney Latimer but with more information on a Latimer & Sons.

viewtopic.php?t=31210&start=40#p78934

A watchmaking/ jewellery/silversmithing business was founded by George Brown Latimer in 1850 and the firm were restyled as Latimer & Sons c.1890. Latimer & Sons entered their silver mark, 'L&SONS' contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners with several variations, with the Edinburgh Assay Office as from c.1895. There is no mention of the "S.Latimer" though. He was a likely 1 of the sons as indicated in the newspaper announcement below.

THE EDINBURGH GAZETTE, SEPTEMBER 1, 1899

THE Subscriber has retired from the Firm of LATIMER & SONS, Watchmakers and Jewellers, 143 and 145 Lothian Road, Edinburgh, as at 7th February 1898.
The Subscriber will carry on business on his own account as Goldsmith and Jeweller under the style "SYDNEY LATIMER " at premises No. 70 George Street, Edinburgh.

SYDNEY P. LATIMER.

Edinburgh, 1st September 1899.

Here we have that "SL" possible retailer of "Pluro Silver" and a Post Office Edinburgh and Leith directory entry for 1907-1908 could be more evidence for being a possible retailer of cutlery.

LATIMER, SYDNEY, gold and silversmith, jeweller, chronometer clock and watch-maker, optician, and dealer in choice china and I'urios (curios?)
70 George street; house, 23 Moriiingside park

This Sydney Latimer did enter a silver mark with the Edinburgh Assay Office registered 1905 address George Street & Lothian Road, also with the Birmingham office used 1925..1936 (address George Street & Lothian Road) and the Chester office (address George Street & Lothian Road), registered May 1929. The "in a shield" mark was the same in the 3 centres and does not appear totally unfamiliar.

My evidence for Sidney Latimer and Pluro Silver is not irrefutable so can the Forum offer anymore information for or against? I know there is still no reference for "and sons", but biologically often it is possible occurrence.

"Latimers" extra notes.

Here are possible interesting "Latimer" entries from that 1907-1908 Post Office directory for Edinburgh and Leith.

GENERAL DIRECTORY.

LATIMER & SONS, wholesale and manufacturing watchmakers, jewellers, gold and silver smiths, opticians, and wholesale watch material dealers,
143, 145, and 147 Lolihian road (Lothian Road?)

Latimer, George Brown, goldsmith [of L.. & Sous), Bellvvooil, 13 Forbes road

LATIMER, SYDNEY, gold and silversmith, jeweller, chronometer clock and watchmaker, optician, and dealer in choice china and I'urios (curios?),
70 George street; house, 23 Moriiingside park

In the 1909 Chester Assay Office entry for "Latimer & Sons" George Brown Latimer is described as Sole Partner. His private residence was recorded by the Chester Assay Office as Bellwood, 13, Forbes Road, Edinburgh. The firm of Latimer & Sons were thought to have been in business at least until the mid 1920's. There is a reference that George Brown Latimer died in 1924 but what can be concluded when the Sidney Latimer assay office addresses all quote "Lothian Road" in addition to "George street"?

Fishless

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”