Unable to track down what this means

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
cntryjewell

Unable to track down what this means

Post by cntryjewell »

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and have been scouring the website and the forums but I'm not finding marks that are like what I have on a serving tray that was in a storage unit that my husband and I bought. I think I've managed to determine the assay offices of Birmingham and Sheffield, but the mark to the far right has me baffled as well as the numbers below the marks and above the Sheffield name.

Any insight into what all of this means, date, etc would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.lenstripping.com/Sheffield- ... -vstQfZB/A
https://www.lenstripping.com/Sheffield- ... -VwKGBdr/A

Julie
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Unable to track down what this means

Post by dognose »

Hi Julie,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please embed your images.

Trev.
cntryjewell

Post by cntryjewell »

Hi Trev,

Sorry about that. I had to change my settings on my website. Not sure if this is going to work or not...when I click preview the post it just shows the word image in place of where the links are.

Julie
cntryjewell

Post by cntryjewell »

Let's try this on my Flickr accountt instead...

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

https://postimages.org (choose 'Share', then copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code) is recommended. Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Trev.
cntryjewell

Post by cntryjewell »

Ahhh! Hallelujah! I think this might work. Thank you Trev!

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

That's great. The tray is silver plated and made a long way from Sheffield. It is a product of the Pairpoint Mfg. Co. of New Bedford, Massachusetts.

See: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=25849&hilit=pairpoint

Trev.
cntryjewell

Post by cntryjewell »

Wow! Well that's at least a step closer to knowing more about the piece, and what that P meant.

Is there a way to use the number stamp to date it? And, looking through the link you gave, I'm not seeing mention of Sheffield, so I'm confused as to why it has the Sheffield name and, what looks like, the assay marks for Birmingham and Sheffield on it.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Silver plate manufacturers used pseudo marks for commercial reason.
The marks resembled British sterling hallmarks, Birmingham anchor and Sheffield crown being the most popular. They also invented a wide range of marks to promote sale.
Serial number, internal factory number cannot help in dating.
Regards
cntryjewell

Post by cntryjewell »

Thanks for that. Is there anyway to obtain a date (or come close to one)? Now that I have a manufacturer I'm looking through the different styles of marks made on pieces...most of what I'm finding resemble marks that are probably more clearly aligned with their later years before they closed because their name is listed or it says Made in the USA or even just the way the marks are made. I'm not yet finding anything style wise similar to what's on my tray/platter....so I was just curious if there is a way to date where in the life of the company this might have been made.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”