ID unmarked silverplate dispenser

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
maxbernat

ID unmarked silverplate dispenser

Post by maxbernat »

Hi all, this 17" tall Silver Plate dispenser has only the number 515 embossed under its base in addition to some etched numbers. It looks to have been replated. Any thoughts on age and or maker and origin would be appreciated. Thx!

Traintime
contributor

Re: ID unmarked silverplate dispenser

Post by Traintime »

Don't toss it out yet. Why do you believe it is silverplate? Can't be sure with the photos, but coin silver might be possible. Is that blurred lid mark an "M"? The 515 is probably just a pattern number, but the scratched M-sequence could be an order or factory/workshop control number.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Notice the "5" after the "M" is in the same style as those in the 515, but the "4" differs from the one scratched in the address. This says two different hands here...one in the workshop, and the other sometime later by the retailer or an owner. I'd look closer at this object unless there's good reason to dismiss it.
maxbernat

Post by maxbernat »

Thanks Traintime, it's possible that what I assumes was smoothing of chasing caused by replating might just be polish worn sterling. As it happens, when I test after a good file scratch, I get a pretty stable reaction, see my pic. Certainly no indication of the usual green in typical silver plate. Thoughts?

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”