Mystery SonC Plate Marks - American?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
OldSchool
contributor

Mystery SonC Plate Marks - American?

Post by OldSchool »

I have exhausted all avenues trying to identify a series of very distinctive marks on a silver plate on copper tea set.

The full set comprises tray, teapot, coffee pot, spirit kettle, milk jug and sugar bowl, with a large rectangular tray. The main elements are all marked with the same four symbols and, apart from the tray, carry the "Silver on Copper" text:

These are rubbed, but the marks on the tray are much clearer. They comprise, I believe: (1) a king wearing a crown within a shield. (2) A figure of Britannia, seated, holding a shield in one hand and a spear in the other, within an oval. (3) A knight's helm, within a clipped square with braced lower margin, and (4) a square, clipped to each corner, containing a recumbent lion below a shield.

I have enhanced this slightly, if it helps:

I have assumed this may be American, but am open to any suggestions! Thanks for your help.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Mystery SonC Plate Marks - American?

Post by dognose »

Your images are not showing. Remember to use the Preview feature.

https://postimages.org (choose 'Share', then copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code) is recommended.

Trev.
OldSchool
contributor

Post by OldSchool »

The system must have changed since the last time I posted ... which worked fine. Sorry. I have tried PostImages ...

These are in the same order as they "appeared" in the first post:

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

It's another of those sets of marks we've seen many times on the forum, but as yet, we have not come up with an answer.

What we can see from the marks that I've posted, there is a letter 'L' contained within the shield above the lion, surely a clue towards identifying the owner of these marks.

Hopefully your post may prompt an answer from someone.

Trev.
OldSchool
contributor

Post by OldSchool »

Thanks Trev.

Seeing the "L" for the first time at least offers some leads. The quality of the plate is actually very good, and judging by the style and range of items in this set, especially the spirit kettle, this must have been a fairly competent business. I will start by search afresh. Thank you.
OldSchool
contributor

Post by OldSchool »

The style of the marks has the appearance of several other US silver manufacturers. Is there a thought that this might also be an American company?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I would have thought that highly likely.

Trev.
OldSchool
contributor

Post by OldSchool »

Thanks Trev. Drawn a blank, I'm afraid. Spent too long on this, probably, and none the wiser!
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

There could be a remote possibility of a connection to Leonard Silver Plate as they occassionally used some pseudo set which included a lion mark. Maybe this was another variational set.
OldSchool
contributor

Post by OldSchool »

Thanks Traintime. Leonard Silver Plate certainly seems a possibility.
Juperez

Post by Juperez »

OldSchool wrote:I have exhausted all avenues trying to identify a series of very distinctive marks on a silver plate on copper tea set.

The full set comprises tray, teapot, coffee pot, spirit kettle, milk jug and sugar bowl, with a large rectangular tray. The main elements are all marked with the same four symbols and, apart from the tray, carry the "Silver on Copper" text:

These are rubbed, but the marks on the tray are much clearer. They comprise, I believe: (1) a king wearing a crown within a shield. (2) A figure of Britannia, seated, holding a shield in one hand and a spear in the other, within an oval. (3) A knight's helm, within a clipped square with braced lower margin, and (4) a square, clipped to each corner, containing a recumbent lion below a shield.

I have enhanced this slightly, if it helps:

I have assumed this may be American, but am open to any suggestions! Thanks for your help.
Hi i have the exact marks on a tree meat platter. I've been trying to find anything on these marks and no luck either!.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”