PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gsmoggy

Diamond lozeng Mark?

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello members
Does anyone know this mark?
Cannot find it on silver plate marks.

Looks like maybe French or American.
Hope my images come through this time. Again having trouble loading images.

Regards Guido.
gsmoggy

Re: Diamond lozeng Mark?

Post by gsmoggy »

More images of box.
Regards Guido. There was some issue on my computer site,okay at the moment.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello Members
I have discovered that it is a Japanese mark.
Have found other boxes on line with same mark ,Made in Japan.
Does any one have site for Japanese marks on plated items? to look up maker and find approx age?

Kind Regards Guido.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello Trev
Should this post be moved to the Far East section ?
Regards Guido.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Guido,

You are moved to the Silverplate Trademarks-Worldwide forum, photos required of item and all marks. This particular forum also covers Japanese silver-plate.

Best,

Peter.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Many thanks .Peter

Regards Guido.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello members
I have had a thought about the mark on my box,I am thinking it may be I S C,for International Silver Company, That include a lot of different American makers, I have been told at least one maker had there goods made in Japan ,Corbell &company,I have been in contact,they say it is not their mark.
so far have not found mark under International Silver Company ,list of marks.

Does any one know the American companies that had there goods made in Japan?

I originally thought it was an American or French mark.
Does anyone think that I might be on the right track.

Regards Guido.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Another Japanese based metal objects firm placed a large "M" in the center of the diamond, presumably a formal name. So, if this was a norm there, I would expect the "S" on your box to relate to an actual name of a maker or other. That said, the I.C. could just be for an "importing company" which had items manufactured in Japanese factories. Perhaps another avenue to search. If it was in fact meant to be read in English, then they could have been based outside the country...the same thing happened in the china industry with the Morimura (?) brothers in their early marks.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Traintime
Thanks for your reply and comments ,I do understand what you are saying ,"The Patent applied for"confuses things if box made in Japan,
Interesting to know if my box is earlier or later than the box that has "Made in Japan" and same lozenge mark.
It is strange for me that this mark is not coming up anywhere,I have a feeling they were a large maker.
I still feel it may have had something to do with the International Silver Company (one of the many companies under its banner,an American company)
you may also be correct it may be letters or letter like the M you were talking about.

I may be wrong,the mystery continues. What country was the Patent Being applied for?

Regards Guido.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Try tinplatetoys dot blogspot dot com to see many examples of Japanese marks (especially in diamonds) for these type if items...should still translate to other objects. A Japanese word equivalent of Trademark begins with "S" and is sometimes symbolized in these marks with that letter.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

ASCAS article on small, ornate American jewelry boxes history up until style played out in 1920's: http://www.ascasonline.org/articoloMM57.html

(This one looks more like the pre-filter ciggy chambers, but hey...a box can hold anything.)
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello Traintime

Great work ,many thanks for the links,the blog site is not working properly for me,I can see in other areas a lot of diamond shapes with letters,
may be one of the companies starting with S ,Sangyou-industry, Seisakusho -manufacturing works, factory, Shoten -shop,store (not them ,rising sun mark) Shouji-Comercial affairs ,Shoukai -company.
Not sure if these toy companies made these cast boxes.

Many thanks for your help ,maybe getting closer to maker.

Regards Guido.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello members
I have come across an arts and craft style? box (attributed to Archibald Knox, English) that has the timber section attached to the lid in the same method ,with similar ,small rosette fittings.
This seems an unusual way to attach the timber ,copper pins through top,hammered over on the back.
Is this box English ?or may it also be Japanese like mine ? Date 1900? may be clue to period of manufacturer?
Not sure how many makers would have used this method of attaching timber to lids.
Do members feel may be same maker or just a coincidence ?

Regards Guido.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello Members

Another part of my research ,Have discovered a very interesting post online "A BRASS CASKET" The owner has been investigating the maker of his box.
I noticed his box also has the timber fixed in the same way as my box under the top,his box is not marked,may be an interesting read for anyone interested in following my mission.
I have added some images from that site of the timber section and rivets (rosettes)
Regards Guido.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”