ID help! Weighted silver swan. A.???? Name. M over a hammer mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Trading_Up

ID help! Weighted silver swan. A.???? Name. M over a hammer mark

Post by Trading_Up »

Hello,

I received this silver plated, or weighted, swan as a very early Christmas present.

He gave it to me early, because he was disappointed that it wasn't solid sterling, as it was listed by the seller.

I've researched the website, but cannot find the maker anywhere.

Could somebody please help me identify the maker of the swan? Also, is this electroform, plated, or weighted?

dognose
Site Admin

Re: ID help! Weighted silver swan. A.???? Name. M over a hammer mark

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

What you have is a resin base covered with a layer of silver. To identify such pieces and so that they are not to be confused with solid silver items, as they do contain a full set of Italian marks, the Italian government required some extra marks to be struck. These extra marks are a 'R' within a square, this stands for 'Riempito' (filled), and also a set of figures that indicate the amount of silver applied, in grams (1÷2 g, 2÷3 g, 3÷5g, etc.). These are not exact weights, but must fit into range stated by each mark, in this case 3 to 5 grams.

The Italian registration number 871 FI was granted to F.Lli Magrino Argentieri In Firenze.

See: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=27003&p=126233&hilit=871#p126233

Trev.
Trading_Up

Re: ID help! Weighted silver swan. A.???? Name. M over a hammer mark

Post by Trading_Up »

dognose wrote:Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Trev.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Now that I know the name, I'm searching Magrino silver and am finding many other examples!

I just need to figure out what the signature is now.. A.. something. LOL

Thank you so much!!

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”