Small tray marked SJC and 950

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Mawam

Small tray marked SJC and 950

Post by Mawam »

Good morning,

I am trying to identify the country of origin and metal content of this tray. I am posting my query here as per forum rules because even though this piece is marked 950 and shows no signs of base metal peeking though, it just seems too heavy to be solid silver and I have had no luck finding the SJC mark alone or combined with the 950 mark anywhere online so I have to assume it is plated.

The tray measures approximately 8 and 1/4 inches in diameter and weighs approximately 10.8 ounces. The only marks are the SJC and the 950 in ovals as shown. I searched for examples of the leaf and crescent moon symbol shown in the middle of the tray as I thought perhaps it was added post-manufacture and represented an organization or such but I had no luck.

Another thing that confuses me is that it was quite tarnished when I found it and it polished up beautifully, which in my limited experience is not often true of plated items, but I still have no idea so here I am.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer!
Mawam

Re: Small tray marked SJC and 950

Post by Mawam »

I apologize. My photos were supposed to be smaller and they showed as smaller in the preview. Should I delete them and try again?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Your images are appearing OK to me.

Trev.
Mawam

Post by Mawam »

Thank you, Trev.
emaliek
contributor

Post by emaliek »

It appears that there are additional marks just below the rim from the pictured marks, or is that a reflection?
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi - this is a 21st century .950 silver piece from the American Sandra Jordan Collection - the designer, with her husband, owns Jordan Vineyard & Winery in Healdsburg, CA. Much of the silver (both solid and silverplated) is wine-related - she's originally from Peru and most, if not all of her goods are Peruvian-made.

~Cheryl

Return to “Sterling Manufacturers ~ American after-1860”