William Hutton trade name "Alaska Silver"?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

William Hutton trade name "Alaska Silver"?

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello, quite a while ago I saved an image of some manufacturer's marks on a electroplated spoon. There appeared a roughly circular impressed mark plus "Huttons.Sheffield " over "Alaska Silver". "Huttons" could have been W.Hutton (& Sons Ltd) a large silver and electroplating concern based in Sheffield during the 19th and 20th centuries. Although unconfirmed I was happy with that until this last weekend when another spoon, shown below was advertised from the USA.

Here we have I assume an electroplated spoon but with "Solid Alaska Silver" stamped on it.
I felt I needed to review at my "Hutton" image again, and there came an immediate light bulb moment. Could the undefined circular mark be the crossed arrows trademark (previously "Creswicks" mark) that Huttons acquired in 1902. I made a comparison with another more obvious W.Hutton & Sons mark.

I soon found a bit more corroborating evidence and it was on our own Forum courtesy of "Dognose" and this image.

We have a 1907 advert with 2 possible trade names for Hutton, "Singalee" and "Alaska" tableware.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=24438&p=181275&hil ... ka#p181275

The advert was from a Canadian arm of Huttons, so does the spoon advertised in the USA originate from here?

Alternatively a second Forum post gives another explanation/derivation of this spoon.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7458&hilit=alaska

"2209patrick" in a 2007 reply informs us

"Not positive about this, but I think that was a trademark used by Sears Roebuck & Company, Chicago, Illinois (c.1908).
They had flatware made for them by different manufacturers and then sold them under various trademarks. I believe "Alaska Silver" was a trademark for their nickel silver alloy flatware."

"2209patrick" was definitely correct that Sears Roebuck used "Alaska" in their trademarking as shown in this image from a said to be early 1900's Sears Roebuck catalogue quoting "Alaska Silverware" describing it as "not plated, but is the same solid metal through and through".

Is this "Solid Alaska Silver"? If there are any more explanations do please add them in.

Fishless
Essexboy Found
contributor

Re: William Hutton trade name "Alaska Silver"?

Post by Essexboy Found »

Hello, another image to go with this post.

The marking says "Hutton Alaska", and with the crossed arrows pictorial mark. Was "Hutton Alaska" on forks for the Canadian market, as described in the advert, or released also to the British market?

I read the advert again and noticed the 2 images of the crossed arrows were not exactly the same. The top image on the advert is 8 arrows and says "Trade Mark For Plate" while the lower image of 6 arrows says "Trade Mark For Cutlery". I had wondered previously why sometimes there were 8 arrows
imaged and at other times just the 6.

Fishless

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”