Mark on ivy-patterned spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
ivyspoon

Mark on ivy-patterned spoon

Post by ivyspoon »

Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me identify this mark on a spoon that's part of a collection that I'm documenting. I'd like to know, if possible, a rough date, and if possible maker (although I don't think having looked through your wider encylopedia, that the mark on this item does denote a maker).

The spoon is more like a small ladle, with a distinctive ivy-leaf pattern on the handle and disc at the bottom of the handle. The bowl of the spoon is shaped almost like a shell. I'm not 100% what kind of spoon it is - the design is very reminiscent of a sugar sifting spoon, but it doesn't have any holes. This design seems to crop up in a few different types of cutlery, and I've found very similar spoons through internet searches with the same or very similar mark but can't seem to find any more information about possible maker. The mark reads "R D 172581", with a slight mark beneath the 'D'.

I'd really appreciate any information anyone can give me about this mark. Thank you!
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Mark on ivy-patterned spoon

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

That's a British Registry Design Number, see: https://www.925-1000.com/registry.html

Although the design was registered in the early 1890's, if it were popular, it could have been made for several years.

Are there no other marks?

Trev.
ivyspoon

Post by ivyspoon »

dognose wrote:Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

That's a British Registry Design Number, see: https://www.925-1000.com/registry.html

Although the design was registered in the early 1890's, if it were popular, it could have been made for several years.

Are there no other marks?

Trev.
Hi, thank you for replying! That's useful info to have, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

No, unfortunately there are no other marks that we could find.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

No luck in finding who registered the design, but here is an 1895 ad from Sheffield Goods Mfg. Sply. Co./Wm. Cheetham showing your pattern:

~Cheryl
ivyspoon

Post by ivyspoon »

Oh thank you, that's very interesting! Thank you for taking the time to find that!

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”