Hallmark identification

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Gunga

Hallmark identification

Post by Gunga »

I would like someone to identify as much of this hallmark as possible.
The hallmark is on a fruit Bowl which I am advised is solid silver.
The bowl has been in our family for at least 120 years and may have been
in our family for 126 years.
The story in our family is that the bowl has a chequered History.
I have so far been unable to identify the hallmark myself.
If any one can assist I would be most grateful.
For as long as I can remember The Bowl has resided in our Family home In Birmingham UK
legrandmogol
contributor

Re: Hallmark identification

Post by legrandmogol »

If the engraving says 1937 (it's hard to tell) then this piece is only 84 years old. That's if the engraving is contemporary to its manufacture. But if it's not, did your family own it and then wait a few decades to have it engraved as a trophy for themselves? Is there an "A. Price" in your family? I also can't be sure but I believe your piece is silver plated. The marks that being with an E are probably for Electroplated blank blank blank. I can't make out the other 3 marks at all.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Rose & Crown Angling Society was active in 1896 and fishing the Thames in this entry: https://books.google.com/books?id=A9BKA ... in&f=false

Pointless to guess, but the date looks to my eye to be 1800's...so maybe 1887 or less likely 1837? If this is not a form of EPNS, then mark 2 could be a leopard head (?), making mark 1 a date code for 1800??? But who awards sterling bowls (and old ones at that) for catching and stuffing a big freshwater fish? We're gonna need a bigger camera to land this one!
Gunga

Post by Gunga »

Hello Legrandmobel,
The date on the cup is 1907.
Arthur Price was my Grandfather born in 1875 he was a champion Fisherman.
A Relative who owns a jewels shop in Knutsford a Mr. Fearnside said it was Solid Silver.
The reverse of the bowl has the wording
National Trades Exhibition Bingley Hall Birmingham 1908 or 1903 Prize Cup
Presented by G Stanley who I found out was the General Manager for Bingley Hall.
Is it possible the hallmark is a fake? and Grandfather has been busy re-engraving
to cover up what is rumoured to be its true identity.
thanks for the help so far.
Regards,
Gunga
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

it could be silver, it's very difficult to tell based on your pictures and without it being in hand. I couldn't find anything in silver plate or silver with that maker's mark (at least in the online English references). Of the actual hallmarks, only an E is readable, the rest is very unclear. The E could be for EPNS or a date letter. The only way to accurately test for silver using acid requires you to poor acid directly on the item which will scar the item. The best way I find to determine if it's silver or plate is to look for spots where the plate has worn off revealing a base metal. This will usually be in its high spots or edges.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

The prize cup date must be 1908...the front date of 1907 is for the "Season" which would be a tally at the end of the year. Try to check the pedestal bottom with a finger...if it feels sharp on the edges, then the probabilities are strongly in favor of silverplated base metals. Sterling is usually worked to a smooth finish. The "E", in the form here, as a date code could only be a small possibility and it would be out of place for normal order (the British hallmarking system being very professional would not be expected to commonly have the placement variations found outside that system). The makers mark alone dos not help as the extra "S" could be for Sheffield as well as for Sons, the third letter may be "&" or even "W" rather than "Y" (depending upon how corrupted the marking was in a curved surface), and the first letter could be "C" or "G" but might even be another one due to that damage....all we can be sure if is the "H" and two obvious periods behind the letters. There is a G.H.&S, but it doesn't work here with what we have so far.
Gunga

Post by Gunga »

Hello Traintime,
Unfortunately at this time I am in the Algarve and the fruit bowl is in Birmingham. I therefore cannot feel
the base edges.
All the rumours in our family are that The Bowl may have been made around 1895 and later the inscriptions added.
Arthur Price's Brother in Law a Mr. Sprason was a manufacturer of silver and gold items in Birmingham.
You would think that the inscriptions would have cut through any silver plate and indeed the badly worn bench mark.
I will ask my cousins to have a feel around the bottom edge. Would any further detail photos be of any help.
Regards,
Gunga
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Would any further detail photos be of any help.
A large, sharp close-up of the marks may reveal much.

Trev.
Gunga

Post by Gunga »

Hello Dognose,
I will have a word with my Cousins to see what they can do.
Regards,
Gunga

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”