Info on Walter Oxley Sheffield

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gsmoggy

Info on Walter Oxley Sheffield

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello Members any info on maker Walter Oxley Sheffield?
I notice only one entry on this site ,P Kleemo Sydney ,were distributors of their goods 1933.

Looks like they may have been a small company ,not much info around about them.

Looks like they are supposed to be Australian images on this box.

Regards Guido.
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Re: Info on Walter Oxley Sheffield

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello Guildo. it looks like there could be information to be found in the "Sheffield Indexers" and some commercial dictionaries. Below are some entries I found quickly in the "Indexers".

Oxley, Walter (, table cutlery manufacturer).
Address: 154a Fitzwilliam street; h, 133 Machon Bank, Sheffield in 1905.
Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham.

OXLEY, Walter (~, Cutlery Manufacturer).
Address: 318 Queens Road, ~ in 1925.
Recorded in: Sheffield & Rotherham Kelly?s Directory.

The are over 400 entries for "Oxley", some may be "founders" or relatives also concerned in the electroplating business.

Oxley, W (~, Fruit Knife Mfr.).
Address: 25 Charles Street, in 1871.
Recorded in: White's Sheffield & Dist. Directory - 1871.
Yours
Fishless
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello Fishless

Thanks very much for the great info,I suppose at this stage he may be the maker of the box,he seems to have been a fairly small maker as you know I have not been able to find out very much about him.
In my opinion some plated work can still be interesting.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Thanks again great work.
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello again Guido, below is the reference from our website, relating to "P Kleemo" of Sidney and the advert from 1933 proclaiming "sole agents for Walter Oxley, Queens Road, Sheffield". The ad underlines that Oxley did not just do cutlery.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=18484&p=147968&hilit=oxley#p147968

If you magnify "Trev's" image it is easily read and there are current online adverts for Walter Oxley made, non cutlery products, and some from Australian sellers.
It seems a cutler, "Walter Oxley" was in a partnership with Thomas Land in "Land and Oxley" (Nimrod Works, Sheffield) at the end of the 19th century, but Thomas Land became Land & Son by 1901. Sheffield Indexers has "Walter Oxley", "table cutlery manufacturer" by 1905, so possibly the same person.

Fishless
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

A 1940 Kleemo advert. claims origins in London and later opening Sydney: https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/17667355

Link to an earlier 1937 ad. came up blank screened.

At this point, they do mention silverware, but not Oxley per se. Given the "sole agents" info. seems to be an isolated ad. in the horrific year of 1933, could Kleemo simply be clearing out a firm that is closed down or riding the edge of a precupice by then?
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello Fishless and traintime.

Many thanks for all the info about William Oxley, it looks like he was around in different areas from the early 1900.
Interesting the link to P.Kleemo in Sydney Australia. With the Australian motifs on the box ,I feel it makes it a bit more interesting from and Australian point of view (I am in Australia)
Great work.

Regards Guido.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”