Help with hallmarks for cutlery set - William Hutton and Sons? Possible not straight set

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
coopuk

Help with hallmarks for cutlery set - William Hutton and Sons? Possible not straight set

Post by coopuk »

Hi, this is my first posting, so my apologies if this is the wrong forum or if I'm asking newbie questions!

I am clearing my mum's house and have found a set of 6 fish knives and forks in a leather case. I've never seen them before - they were hidden at the back of a cupboard until now.

The handles look like Bakerlite, and each implement has a hallmark on it.
However - different hallmarks between knives and forks!
Four of the forks have crossed arrows and WH & S on them, which I think is William Hutton and Sons. No other marks, nothing to indicate they are silver plated.
The other two forks have no crossed arrows mark, but have the same 5 marks as the marks on the 6 knives, and it those that I am having trouble identifying - probably to to dodgy eyesight! There is an S - I am guessing that is Sheffield - and what looks to be an axhead, but apart from that I am lost.

I have loaded photos here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1uzH9btCVr6iU6Kg9

Can I ask if anyone is able to de-cypher the marks or provide any information about this set?

Many thanks in advance!
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Help with hallmarks for cutlery set - William Hutton and Sons? Possible not straight set

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please embed your images.

https://postimages.org (choose 'Share', then copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code) is recommended. Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Trev.
AG2012
contributor

Re: Help with hallmarks for cutlery set - William Hutton and Sons? Possible not straight set

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The figural trade mark 'trumpet and banner' (bugle) was registered in 1881 by James Dixon & Sons
The cross arrows trademark of TJ & N Creswick was later acquired by William Hutton & Sons in 1902. Electroplating began in 1852

Hopefully enough data for further search.
Regards
coopuk

Post by coopuk »

Many thanks so far - here are the images posted in Postimages:

coopuk

Post by coopuk »

The hint for James Dixon and Sons looks ideal - I have found this image which is a very close match to what is on the knives, although the marks on our knives is not as sharp:

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

So it looks like I have a mix of James Dixon and Sons, and William Hutton and Sons.
Some more digging shows that James Dixon absorbed William Hutton in 1930s, so...

1. Is it likely that this a "crossover" set from that period incorporating pieces from both companies
2. Is it possible that the handles are ivory?
3. Do the forum think that the knives and forks are in fact sterling silver rather than silver plate? There are no marks indicating ESPN

Thoughts/comments gratefully received!
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
1.Crossover set is possible (based on obviously same décor and pattern).
2. There is strict legislation on solid silver (sterling) with well established marks of assay offices. Meaning, even lacking EPNS your set is silver plated.
3. Ivory was widely used at the time due to indiscriminate genocide of elephants. If you want to test handles, there is very reliable and not aggressive test:
a. Put the tip of a needle in the flame of a lighter until red hot
b. Try to make a puncture in one of the handles
Result interpretation :
Ivory will show practically no reaction, all you can see will be a microscopic black dot.
If any kind of synthetic material, needle tip will easily sink into it: not much harm done.
Regards
coopuk

Post by coopuk »

Fantastic - just what I was looking for. Many thanks for all your help!

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”