A plate with the initials of Russian nobleman

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gentianblue

A plate with the initials of Russian nobleman

Post by gentianblue »

Hi, I would like to call on someones expertise to reveal the info on the hallmark, especially any date info. Also whether this plate is solid or plate silver ( it is heavy for its size). To me it looks like brass revealing itself beneath plate. What may appear to be a letter C in the hallmark is a G I am fairly sure.

The reason I would like an approx year is that it could have belonged to 2 individuals with the same initials, father and son, Constantin P. senior or Constantin P. junior.

AG2012
contributor

Re: A plate with the initials of Russian nobleman

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The maker is factory of Alexander Katsch therefore AK under the crown in the first mark.
In Russian Александр Качъ

G.P. stands for ГАЛЬВАНО ПОКРЫТИЕ (electro plated, galvanic silver plate).
Alexander Katch, full name Karl-Wilhelm-Alexander, a citizen of Prussia, was born in 1813. The entrepreneur, founded his business in St. Petersburg, was engaged in both the manufacture and sale of products. The enterprise for the production of cupronickel products has existed since the beginning of the 1840s (in the Directory of 1865, the date of foundation is 1840).
Your plate was bought in his shop in Petersburg.

Regards
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Russian heraldic crown with 9 pearls belongs to count.
Dating is difficult because two heads in profile are probably medals he was awarded for his works at exhibitions, and that was mid 19th century, so the same set of marks is found in 19th century and on art nouveau items, i.e. much later.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Alex. Katsch - Berlin - 1871

Trev.
gentianblue

Post by gentianblue »

Hi,
Thank you for that very complete information. I was surprised at St. Petersburg for origin, but I was looking for crossed anchors which is of course silver hallmark. Although I knew the pIate( or is it a small tray?) belonged to a count I didn´t know about decoration of the crown denoting rank.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Engraved initials of the owner under the crown are CP. That could be either Latin CP or in Cyrillic alphabet SR.
The same crown with nine pearls was used by counts in German speaking countries.
All said, based on reliable provenance, it was bought either in Russia by Russian nobility, or in Germany by German nobility.
Anyway, the maker is A. Katsch.
Regards

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”