Hallmark Help

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Andy99

Hallmark Help

Post by Andy99 »

Hi all,

I'm new to the site and would be grateful if anyone could help me with these spoons as to who made them, where they come from and what age they are.

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Andy99

Re: Hallmark Help

Post by Andy99 »

Hi,

As no one seems to know about these marks would I be right in assuming they are quite rare ?

Cheers
Andy
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm afraid there are probably thousands of plater's marks yet to be identified. The only thing I can say about your spoon, with certainty, is that it was made before 1896 as that is when the use of a crown mark on plated wares was out-lawed. Having said that, I believe your spoon is far earlier, probably around the 1850's as the marks blatantly imitate official hallmarks and we see this disappear as the 19th century wore on.

Hopefully other members will have some thoughts.

Trev.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Assuming that it is a British / English mark then a good possibility is Thomas Prime [& Son] of Birmingham. Known Prime marks include a gothic T, P and crown as here, although not in the same order, but not a "lion".

Phil
Andy99

Post by Andy99 »

Hi,

Thank you, it good to have that info. My father passed away back in march and these were in a box amongst other silver spoons that we've identified. We're unsure where they came from but most likely he found them whilst doing building were. Most of his work was restoration, I did work with him and we often found old items that had been discarded or lost under floorboards.

Thanks again for the help.
Cheers
Andy

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”