Signiature on frecnch bronze casket.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gsmoggy

Signiature on frecnch bronze casket.

Post by gsmoggy »

HI Members
Not sure if this is suitable here,
Would like to know If any one may have seen this mark (signature) before.
I feel I have all the letters are correct. It also has and unusual hand punched base (never seen this before)I thought it was engine turned.

Regards Guido.
gsmoggy

Re: Signiature on frecnch bronze casket.

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello Members

I am amazed I think I have discovered the maker of my box,Looks like it may be Jean-Francois Vervelle. Firm name" Maison Vervelle"

The firm was established in 1804 by him,and he exhibited at the 1827 and 1844 Expositions and also at the 1855 Paris Exposition Universelle

They published the Bulletin du magasin des nouveautses in 1830.

In 1856 the company was taken over by Henry Audot and by 1866 was known as H .Audot Dallongevillie, working at 1 rue Neuve-Montmorency in Paris.

The firm was renowned for making small luxury items and d'ebenisterie de gout et de fantasie.

Bibliography

Ledoux-Lebard,Denise, Les ebenistes du X1Xe siecle 1795-1889 Leurs oeuvres et leus marques ,Les Editions de L'Amateur (Paris)1965 p 33-35.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi members
not sure if you may find this interesting,If the circles are hand punched,it must have taken a while,I have done a calculation, 460 circles per square inch ,base 7"x 4" total circles approx 12000-13000.

Makes it an interesting box I feel for the base alone.

Guido.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Members
I thought in my opinion ,I had found the maker of my casket (still feel I may be correct)

To my surprise ,I have had an opinion from The Dept Des Objects des D'art .Musee Du Louvre. Paris.

That they feel the casket could not be french ,and the mark does not look like a signature . Catherine Gougeon.

i have asked them do they have any of Jean Francios Vervelle's work ,Have not received a response .
I have asked her if it is not a signature ,What are those letters there for.

It is a pity they did not give me an opinion on what country it may have been made in ,if it was not France.

Further looking at the mark looks like it could be a double e (ee) at the end.

I would be interested in members thoughts.

Guido.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
If the first part of the signature is Van, it may be Belgium or the Netherlands.
Regards
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hi Ag
Thanks for your thoughts, could have been made in Belgium (close to France) It still look like Ve? or vee ,I have also just noticed the last letter may be l
J.Vel.
The mystery goes on , I am sure the pattern on the base will be part of the clue to the maker,I would not have thought many makers would have done this.
Someone has suggested German,(my feeling still is French)
A box that has a similar feel. That is by L .Oudry , French.( Attributed)
Image inside of this box very similar to mine,probably same period.

Regards Guido.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

interior of mine.

Guido.
gsmoggy

Post by gsmoggy »

Hello Members
Re this old post , Members may be interested I have finally discovered the maker of my casket .Designed by Emile Auguste Reiber 1826-1893,for Christofle &Cie.
Pity it is not marked with the company name. As the item in Company history on this site.

Regards Guido.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”