Partial Hallmarks on Covered Sugar Bowl

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
kh65

Partial Hallmarks on Covered Sugar Bowl

Post by kh65 »

Hello All,

I acquired a 3-piece tea set that has partial hallmarks and what look like marks overlaid on other marks. There are also what appear to be intentionally made dents on some of the marks. I am attaching links to photos of the sugar bowl and its marks. In addition to the marks near the middle of the bottom, there is a small arrow in the lower right section of the second photo.

The overlaid marks and dents have me confused, so I'm hoping someone can explain them. I can add photos of the other 2 pieces and their marks if that would be helpful. Thank you!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/227bwvfr3rew7 ... 8.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r12h5qezcrmmc ... 6.jpg?dl=0
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Partial Hallmarks on Covered Sugar Bowl

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Your question cannot be answered without the required images.

The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

https://postimages.org (choose 'Share', then copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code) is recommended. Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Ensure your images are embedded. Do not post links. Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

For more information see:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 82#p103282

Give some time to creating your posts and we'll give some time to researching and answering them.

Trev.
kh65

Post by kh65 »

Thanks for helping Trev, I did as you suggested and the photos are below. I'm also adding the original text from my post.
-Ken

Hello All,

I acquired a 3-piece tea set that has partial hallmarks and what look like marks overlaid on other marks. There are also what appear to be intentionally made dents on some of the marks. I am attaching links to photos of the sugar bowl and its marks. In addition to the marks near the middle of the bottom, there is a small arrow in the lower right section of the second photo.

The overlaid marks and dents have me confused, so I'm hoping someone can explain them. I can add photos of the other 2 pieces and their marks if that would be helpful. Thank you!

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Ken,

Thanks for embedding the images. Can you post a cropped close-up of the marks? Images of the other pieces and their marks may well be useful also.

Trev.
kh65

Post by kh65 »

Hi Trev,
Here are cropped images of the marks and photos of the other pieces. Thanks again for your help and let me know if you need anything else.
Ken

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Ken,

We've seen somewhat similar marking, with several variations, many times on the forum. They all seem to stem from smaller American manufacturers working in the first half of the 20th century and they usually imitate early English hallmarks.

In your case we have a Lion Passant walking left, a star type mark and another. That third mark troubled me and it was only when I looked at similar examples of that type of marking that I realised it was the base of the Gothic letter 'A', which again is popularly found in these series of pseudo marks.

Only wish I could pin-point an actual maker for you. Hopefully another member will add their opinion.

Trev.
kh65

Post by kh65 »

Thanks Trev, that gets me pointed in the right direction at least. Does anything you see indicate for sure whether it is silverplate or sterling?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

All similar markings that I have come across were struck on plated wares.

Trev.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”