CPRailway/Wiley/Elkington/Mappin Gravy-Creamer

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Traintime
contributor

CPRailway/Wiley/Elkington/Mappin Gravy-Creamer

Post by Traintime »

Topmarked script monogram CPR for Canadian Pacific Railway. Supplier mark for A.T. Wiley Company Limited of Montreal. Outer bowl base Elkington & Co. 16864 with encircled "I" above..code? Sidemarked near bowl rim (reverse) with shield mark and E. & Co. (letter cartouches) followed by "U" (fourth cartouche). Finally, marked "B" (shield) MAPPIN "G" (shield) inside base. Last mark on base is "4". Anyone want to try interpreting this mess?

dognose
Site Admin

Re: CPRailway/Wiley/Elkington/Mappin Gravy-Creamer

Post by dognose »

Hi Traintime,

For what it worth, here's my take on the marks. The item was made by Elkington & Co. and supplied to CPR by the Wiley Co. who presumably tendered for, and won, the supply contract.

As was usual, plated wares used used by the larger concerns, due to their very heavy usage, would be in need of refurbishment every few years and often part of the original contract would include such refurbishment after, say five years of use, and refurb marks would be applied, thus two Elkington date marks. Further down the line Mappin & Webb win the refurb contract and thus two Mappin date letters are also found on the item.

Just my take!

Trev.
Traintime
contributor

Re: CPRailway/Wiley/Elkington/Mappin Gravy-Creamer

Post by Traintime »

Yes, the sidemarks are rather filled in as might be expected with a re-plating job. While large U.S. railroads often had baths in their own shops to do this work, it is interesting that the British based systems may have used full-service contracts for wear life, let out on a rotating term basis. [The piece here might also have been used in one of the C.P. large hotels rather than line services.] Thanks for taking a jab at this beast.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”