French Silver & Etched Glass Claret Identification

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
morrisonmd1

French Silver & Etched Glass Claret Identification

Post by morrisonmd1 »

Hello!

I have fallen in love with this piece after I cleaned it up. At first I thought it was silver plate, but it cleaned nicely and I did a quick silver purity test and it tested as silver. I was able to locate a marking on the bottom of the base and one the handle that I am unfamiliar with and it is a bit confusing.

The mark reads 'Metal G P A LA Reine" with the bust of a crowned queen. I believe A LA Reine is French for 'to the queen.' I would love to know if anyone is familiar with this marking. Thank you so much!!!

Imagefree image uploader
oel
co-admin

Re: French Silver & Etched Glass Claret Identification

Post by oel »

Not silver but a non precious metal, silver plated and probably made in France/Belgium and by a maker of good quality items. GP a la Reine maker's mark or retailer's mark. If you Google search Metal GP a la Reine you will find a tea pot and tripod: Théière tripode et sucrier métal argenté La Reine GP: Métal argenté À la Reine GP ensemble théière tripode et sucrier. Metal volontairement martelé. Anses en osier.
Tripod teapot and silver-plated sugar bowl La Reine GP: Silver-plated metal À la Reine GP tripod teapot and sugar bowl set.Metal deliberately hammered. Wicker handles.

Peter.

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”