Silverplate Toast Rack

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Bugguy

Silverplate Toast Rack

Post by Bugguy »

Any assistance ID'ing this toast rack will be appreciated!

This my first post, I'm pretty heavy into vintage English sterling napkin rings.

Bugguy

Re: Silverplate Toast Rack

Post by Bugguy »

I found one more stamp... maker?

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The maker is Deykin and Sons, Birmingham.
It is not sterling silver, but silver plated. EPNS stands for Electro Plated Nickel Silver.
See here:
https://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_D2.html

Your mark is in the left column.
Regards
Bugguy

Post by Bugguy »

AG2012 - Thank you. I figured out the EPNS shortly after I posted; however, I did't make the connection to Deykin. Thanks1
Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello Bugguy, if you checked the reference that AG2012 had linked to Deykin & Sons, you would have seen the mark of the later concern of Deykin & Harrison. I did wonder if the last gothic letter was in fact the "H" for Harrison and not the "S" of the earlier concern. It is the "gondola" type pictorial mark that points to the "Deykin" concerns. They had a production site in Birmingham called "Venetian Works" and some of their EPNS, possibly later goods, carry the trade name "Venetian Silver".
Fishless
Bugguy

Post by Bugguy »

Essexboy... I noticed the Harrison reference and looked at some other sites for slightly different images. I'm actually leaning to the D & H because the gondola seems closer to my stamp. The impression is just not clear enough.

On the other underside of the rack the numbers 3920 are clearly stamped. Thoughts on relevance?

I actually purchased this 30 years ago from a dealer in N. Illinois well before I started paying attention to marks.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Number is of no relevance; it is internal manufacturer`s production line or pattern number. Sometimes it`s sequence production number seen in e.g. German manufacturer Wilkens & Söhne (helps dating) but that`s not the case with your rack.
Regards

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”