Unknown Marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Mithrur

Unknown Marks

Post by Mithrur »

Hello

I am new here. I am trying to find out where this Fork is from. I did not find any of the Marks on the Page.

Thank you for helping me out.
Cheers
Mithrur

Essexboy Fisher
contributor

Re: Unknown Marks

Post by Essexboy Fisher »

Hello Mithrur, welcome to the forum. Also thank you for the crisp images you uploaded. The image that could give you an idea of the fork's maker is the mark halfway down its stem. The marks on the finial back of the fork are basically pseudo or false hallmarks to imitate real silver cutlery. The GS mark does give a bit of information suggesting the material the fork is made from is "German Silver". This is an alloy of copper, nickel and zinc. It may have small amount of other metals in when slightly different properties are required in finished items. It is nickel silver by another name. That named alloy was used widely for British cutlery in the 2nd half of the 19th century and into the beginning of the 20th century. That said I would not be surprised if your fork was other than British. We are thus back to the "shield and 47" mark. Is there any lettering on the shield? Some times if you are forced to photo close up with a flash some of the detail can be lost.
Sorry this answer has been a not very helpful to your request of a maker but hopefully there will be some more knowledgeable replies to come.
Fishless

Return to “Silverplate Trademarks - Worldwide”